Mt. Tallac Winter Parking?

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Mt. Tallac Winter Parking?

Post by Flamingo »

Hi All,

I'm planning to climb Mount Tallac with snowshoes, using the winter route that starts near Spring Creek Road, but I'm finding conflicting information about trailhead parking. It seems that Spring Creek Road has historically been the place to park. However, it also seems that people are getting tickets for leaving cars in that area. Does anyone have first-hand experience climbing and/or skiing on Tallac this season? Can you advise on the best location for parking?

Thanks a lot,
Victor
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Mt. Tallac Winter Parking?

Post by Gazelle »

Re: New Mt. Tallac Access/Parking Policy at Spring Creek Road

Postby backcountry » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:17 pm
Gated and you can't park in front of the gate. Instead people park a few hundred yards south on hwy 89. Pretty obvious. Skin through the trees and pop out on the road. It takes 20 minutes extra going in and 5 min extra on the way out, because you can almost always skate out on an icy road.

What I usually try to do around here as you are NOT allowed to park on the roads(nov1 to may 1st), you are allowed to park off the road on the far side of the snow poles. So basically the road is all the way to the snow poles (or where they potentially plow) park beyond snow poles usually on dirt is legal if you get a ticket take a picture and sight the rules. Just my 2 cents but have never had a problem I also don't park if it has ANY potential for snow that day as they (the plows) may destroy your vehicle and it is all your fault.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: Mt. Tallac Winter Parking?

Post by TahoeJeff »

Gazelle has it right. I see cars parked off the road east of Spring Creek fairly regularly gearing up for Tallac.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman