Camping in winter

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
Robin
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Camping in winter

Post by Robin »

Hey there
Looking for some good spots to camp on the eastside in February. Have camped in the Buttermilks and at Lone Pine Creek Campground (during winter), both of which are wonderful, but thought I'd pick the collective brain for some other ideas. Got any?
Thanks!
Trail Bud
Topix Acquainted

Eastern Sierra Camping

Post by Trail Bud »

You might want to try the Rock Creek area. It's north of Bishop, with the turn off being at Toms Place. It's a great area for summer and winter.
I don't know the conditions currently.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by copeg »

I'll second the Rock Creek area...but I'm guessing your car camping and to camp in the really scenic areas you got to haul in a few miles. If you don't mind hauling it in then South Lake and Lake Sabrina are cool destinations as well. Further north of mammoth it is pretty much open land where you can pick your spot (national forest country where dispersed camping is allowed with a fire permite). Mono Lake would be a very cool place to camp - outside the preserve dispersed camping is allowed.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

trailblazer wrote:I'll second the Rock Creek area...but I'm guessing your car camping and to camp in the really scenic areas you got to haul in a few miles. If you don't mind hauling it in then South Lake and Lake Sabrina are cool destinations as well. Further north of mammoth it is pretty much open land where you can pick your spot (national forest country where dispersed camping is allowed with a fire permite). Mono Lake would be a very cool place to camp - outside the preserve dispersed camping is allowed.
Roads in those areas are open some winters like the current rather dry one while in others may get snow on then remain closed for extended periods. To be safe would tend to stay below 5k or check the near term weather forecasts carefully. Of course it snows in all areas of the Owens Valley a bit each winter though below 5k it rarely remains long before melting as the ground temps tend to be above freezing.

Buttermilks are a great place to winter camp because the big peaks above are grand while the near areas with all those rounded rock piles ala Alabama Hills are fine. ...David
Robin
Topix Acquainted

Post by Robin »

Thanks for your suggestions. Yes, this will be a car camping trip. We go every year to the Buttermilks and camp for a week in February and again in April. Otherwise, do my backcountry snowcamping with friends who like to do such things :) I know Holiday Campground is open all year up in the Rock Creek area but it's kinda funky compared to the Buttermilks or even Lone Pine Creek Campgound. Thanks for your suggestions....perhaps we'll try the Mono Lake area this time. Afterall, the Red Store in Lee Vining has about as good a beer selection as Manor Market.

Keeping my priorities straight.....