help a snow noob

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
balance
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: help a snow noob

Post by balance »

Greetings peaksandpotatoes

I'm a little curious what you mean by, "picked up the training"?

Good for you for having the spirit to get outdoors and enjoy the winter. It's great that you're adventurous enough to try snow camping. Why not go with a group? Maybe you could post here to find more experienced people to snowshoe with?

Let's do the math: Snowshoe beginner: heavy snow forecast; "snowshoe up some Tahoe peaks." That equates to more than sad and miserable. Sounds like it could add up to tragedy. You do not want to be anywhere near a mountain that has even a remote chance for avalanche. Those moderate Tahoe area slopes with 30-45 degree inclination are "AVALANCHE CITY". You can find trailheads like Wolverton (which has tree blazes) or Badger Pass (hike along side the road) where you're not in terminal avalanche country.

Here's one thing to consider. It's not the weather that should stop you. I personally think it's a lot of fun to be outdoors during a snowstorm in a solid, well-anchored tent. In my opinion, snow is more user friendly than cold rain. You can rent a storm-worthy tent, and a shovel, and whatever else you might need. But you can't rent experience. Before I began solo winter camping, I went with people who had climbed Denali (and came back with all their toes). Believe me, you can find experienced people who will enjoy showing you the right way to do things. Then you'll be able to enjoy the beauty Mother Nature displays when she gets decked out in white.

Peace.
Last edited by balance on Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gazelle »

I would just day hike some peaks. Just so you know started with 7 inches of rain friday and saturday then it changed to snow on saturday night and got 2 1/2 feet as of now monday 1 pm and snowing lightly. This is at Kingvale close to Donner Summit. I 80 was closed most of the night it was THAT bad! If you come this way we should do some peaks?! very good weekend to hang out with NO outdoor activities or driving!

Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

then it changed to snow on saturday night and got 2 1/2 feet as of now monday 1 pm and snowing lightly.
Nice! Thanks for the info. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org