Yosemite in Dec 2014 | High Sierra Topix  

Yosemite in Dec 2014

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
User avatar

Yosemite in Dec 2014

Postby hjldennis » Tue Dec 08, 2015 6:35 pm

Here is another video TR. Sorry for lack of written TR =)

Out of Badger Ski Area on the Christmas day last year. I think the ski area closed down shortly after our visit due to lack of snow. We probably went about 2 miles or so, just out of mileage restriction for camping.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6VRd4krnjQ
wandering outdoors and the universe



User avatar
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:58 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Yosemite in Dec 2014

Postby balance » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:37 am

Thanks for the nice video. Brave kids!

Peace.
User avatar
balance
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 163
Joined: Sun May 04, 2014 12:26 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Yosemite in Dec 2014

Postby SweetSierra » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:14 pm

This video confirms my dislike at the thought of snow camping. But your interiors looked cozy and a dinner of ramen and meat perhaps eased the chill of 7 degrees! The kids were troopers, even when he or she had to climb out of that snow slump twice. Thanks for posting.
User avatar
SweetSierra
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon May 16, 2011 12:23 pm
Location: Nothern California
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Yosemite in Dec 2014

Postby justm » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:27 pm

Great video !! I've always wanted to spend christmas in the backcountry of Yosemite !!! Thanks for sharing
User avatar
justm
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 291
Joined: Wed May 06, 2009 9:16 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Yosemite in Dec 2014

Postby cefire » Fri Dec 18, 2015 2:39 pm

Awesome! Great experience for the little ones (even if they don't know it yet :)

May I ask what type of tent you were using there?

Andrew
User avatar
cefire
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:16 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

User avatar

Re: Yosemite in Dec 2014

Postby hjldennis » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:45 am

cefire wrote:Awesome! Great experience for the little ones (even if they don't know it yet :)

May I ask what type of tent you were using there?

Andrew


Andrew, the tent is Hilleberg Nallo4 GT. It's bit pricey and heavier than some of lighter 3 season tent, but it's really solid 4 season, and has a huge vestibule which is really nice especially during the winter. We take Big Agnes Copper Spur 4 during summer and this one the rest.
Last edited by hjldennis on Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
wandering outdoors and the universe
User avatar
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:58 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Yosemite in Dec 2014

Postby hjldennis » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:52 am

SweetSierra wrote:This video confirms my dislike at the thought of snow camping. But your interiors looked cozy and a dinner of ramen and meat perhaps eased the chill of 7 degrees! The kids were troopers, even when he or she had to climb out of that snow slump twice. Thanks for posting.


I tried to make the video overly pleasant with the music and all, but I guess it didn't work lol. Seriously it was fun but my wife and I were pretty cold that night. We upgraded our bag to 0 degree quilt (enlightened equipment accomplice) and this year we had really cozy nights at dewey point in low teen. And we upgraded the kids' snowshoes with real one instead of kids ones, so no more falling in either haha
wandering outdoors and the universe
User avatar
hjldennis
Topix Acquainted
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:58 am
Experience: N/A

User avatar

Re: Yosemite in Dec 2014

Postby cefire » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:01 pm

hjldennis wrote:Andrew, the tent is Hilleberg Nallo4 GT. It's bit pricey and heavier than some of lighter 3 season tent, but it's really solid 4 season, and has a huge vestibule which is really nice especially during the winter. We take Big Agnes Copper Spur 4 during summer and this one the rest.


Ah, thought it might be Hille but wasn't sure - thanks!
User avatar
cefire
Topix Regular
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:16 pm
Experience: Level 4 Explorer


Return to Winter Sports



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 3 guests

cron