Round Top & Elephants Back from Carson Pass 2/20/15

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
seanr
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Round Top & Elephants Back from Carson Pass 2/20/15

Post by seanr »

Round Top and Elephants Back are popular summits reachable from Carson Pass area year round with possible activities including snowshoeing, skiing, backpacking, sledding, alpine climbing, mountaineering, and hiking depending on conditions.

2014 was not a good winter/spring for snowpack, but nearby I had found plenty in early April for family sledding, as well as a snow scramble loop of Stevens Peak and Red Lake Peak from Crater Lake (we parked in a pull out popular with backcountry skiers along HWY 88 in Hope Valley). Despite a paltry snowpack that was shallower than last early April, we were back for more in 2015, and all activities were possible in late February of this year; the difference was that the only snow was from Carson Pass up, and south facing sunny slopes were barren. Since we would be using a state snow park this time, we grabbed a snow park pass at Sorenson's Resort after boondocking in Hope Valley. By the time we set out, it was midday and warm; often the best strategy in winter is to start early and be off the snow and away from slopes in the afternoon, but conditions were forgiving enough to excuse our laziness. Check conditions before you go: http://www.sierraavalanchecenter.org/advisory#null.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Looking for another option farther south of Tahoe, but north of Yosemite? When Sonora Pass opens in mid to late spring, snow activities abound there and may extend longer due to higher elevation. If looking for quick access to backcountry snow spring of 2015 in severe drought, it may be your best bet without traveling to the Cascades. Conditions: http://www.bridgeportavalanchecenter.org
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jason
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Round Top & Elephants Back from Carson Pass 2/20/15

Post by Jason »

Awesome! I love that area, although I prefer it in Summer and Fall. Thanks for the report and photos!
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

Jason wrote:Thanks for the report and photos!
Yes, thanks for the report!

We have got to get over to that area soon!

Thanks,

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
seanr
Topix Regular

Post by seanr »

Jason wrote:Awesome! I love that area, although I prefer it in Summer and Fall. Thanks for the report and photos!
Yeah, I used to feel the same way, but despite plenty of nice trails nearby, I can't stand staying away from the Sierra for half the year. I see ski trips in our future. It's for the sake of my kids; nothing's in it for me whatsoever. :wink: