Hiking in March

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
SPeacock
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Hiking in March

Post by SPeacock »

Ahhh, thanks for that. I meant Cottonwood Lakes trail head but still off by 500'.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=36.45405,-118.16543&z=15&t=T

Topo indicates around 10,040+ (top end of high parking lot), but different maps have the new route starting at different places...or not at all. One link says 10,040 and a paragraph later says 10,090'.

10,000' is fine. Have no idea where that stat came from. It has been rolling around in my head wrong for a very long time.

It never occurred to me that the trail didn't seem like a 500' gain to the lakes. I just figured the extra effort was because of the first day at altitude. :unibrow:
coff20
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Hiking in March

Post by coff20 »

SPeacock,

Thanks for the reply, but this information might be more useful for the other guy who posted about wanting to do a march trip. Like I said earlier in the thread, among other sierra trips in the last two years I went over pine creek and sawmill passes and I grew up camping and hiking all over the place pretty much year round. I run three days a week and I've been going for an 8-15 mile day hike every weekend since the winter has been so mild up here in Eastern Oregon where I go to school, so staying fit isn't an issue. I was more just wondering what conditions would be like in the southern sierra given the nature of this winter. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
"Let no man be ashamed to kneel here in the great out-of-doors. Remember the woods were God's first temples." Ernest Hemingway, The Sun Also Rises

"There's nothin' better than a boy and his dog just out travelin' 'round the backcountry" -Some Old Hippie