TR: Day hike to Kearsarge Pass

Discussion about winter adventure sports in the Sierra Nevada mountains including but not limited to; winter backpacking and camping, mountaineering, downhill and cross-country skiing, snowboarding, snowshoeing, etc.
jimmeans
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Re: TR: Day hike to Kearsarge Pass

Post by jimmeans »

How was the drive to Onion Valley?
shan1203
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by shan1203 »

jimmeans,

Not too bad. One of the tight curves is also icey and requires some caution. There were plenty of rocks in the road, but they were scattered enough to be avoided. Nothing else of note, really.

Happy Hiking,
Shannon
pedrothecat
Topix Newbie

Post by pedrothecat »

I just drove up to the trailhead today and only had to remove two small boulders in order to clear the way.

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some pointers on how parking works for a multiday trip from this trailhead... how long can I leave my vehicle there considering that the road is officially closed? Will I return from a 2-3 day trip only to find that my ride will be towed?

[-o<

I'm new at this winter thing... checked in with the Interagency Center and they reiterated that I'm not allowed up there... but the gate is open and I have 4x4 and clearance, I can see the dayhike parking worked, how about a longer trip?
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

I think your risk is not so much that the powers that be will object to your parking there as that snowfall or rockslides could block you in and you'd be stuck there. When the road is closed there's no maintenance, no plows, nothing. The safe bet for a multi-day trip is to park just below the gate and walk the rest of the way.
pedrothecat
Topix Newbie

Post by pedrothecat »

Thanks Paul