REQUEST - an easy way you can help HST

All members need to read what's in here BEFORE reading or posting to the HST forums.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

REQUEST - an easy way you can help HST

Post by ERIC »

HST Members,

I know many of you have your own Websites, and most of you have profiles on other message boards and community sites. And knowing that, I'm asking for your help.

One of the easiest ways to drive traffic to HST is to have links to it throughout the Internet. A link to this site generates direct click-through traffic, but more importantly, increases search engine page rank which drives additional traffic here by way of search engines. Search engines are almost always the biggest generator of Website traffic. And here's where you come in...

Since you're already here, and probably visit the site regularly, I can only assume you enjoy HST enough that asking to link to it in some way, shape or form isn't an inappropriate request. You don't have to have your own site with a links page to help. If you're a member of one or more community-based sites other than HST, and profile options on those sites include the ability to add a personal link (or signature where you can include a link), add a link to HST. Linking to HST in that manor can be just as valuable as a link on a links page somewhere (if not more so). Any link to HST helps - it doesn't matter where the link is.

For those of you who have been around a while, you know that I don't ask for money to support this site. In fact, many of you know I have a personal policy of refusing financial assistance. This is a FREE way you can help. The success of HST is entirely dependent on the quality of topics and responses on these forums. The easier we make it for people with similar interests and valuable input to find the site, the better the experience becomes for all who visit HST. Hopefully I'm not the only one who feels this way, and some of you are willing to give back by way of this simple request.

If you have questions, or would like some technical assistance with implementing this request, please PM me. I'm more than happy to help.

Cheers,

Eric
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Re: REQUEST - an easy way you can help HST

Post by FeetFirst »

Impeccable timing. I just shared a fire last weekend with a group camped nearby on a backpacking trip to Eldorado NF and when they asked for information for their next trip (Yosemite), I passed along this site as the authority. Also, I just added a link to my profile on BPL.
Last edited by FeetFirst on Sat Jul 23, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Jay
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Jay »

added it to my blog
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

buy an HST mouse-pad already. works..
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

Thank you!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Jim Lowe
Topix Regular

Post by Jim Lowe »

No problem. Added a link to the main page on my links page.
surfingmarmot
Topix Acquainted

Post by surfingmarmot »

How about a Facebook site we can mention on Facebook or one on Google+ we can mention?
"You will never regret getting up too early, and you'll always regret getting up too late, but sometimes you may regret giving up too late." -- Mountaineer's Adage
ERIC

Post by ERIC »

surfingmarmot wrote:How about a Facebook site we can mention on Facebook or one on Google+ we can mention?
No Google+ page yet, but my sig has the link to the Facebook page.
Man-inna-hillz
Topix Newbie

Post by Man-inna-hillz »

Hello:

Excited to find this site . I am a new member and have been looking for a resource like this forum here in California. I post frequently to a similar site for Washington State/ Pacific NW hiking and climbing, [web_site]http://www.nwhikers.net/[web_site], and will poast a link there.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

so.. this thread looked like you bumped it, but couldn't find it on the "active topics" list. might just be me. I ordered another mouse pad (i'm rough on them) and a mug for the office. I'd order another hat, Eric, but the brim is too small for the Sierra.. I want a bit wider and longer. I do already have one.

The Mini-buttons would make great patches and they are the right size. 1".. 1.5" might be better, but that's just a minor detail. I'd gladly sew one onto my pack.

Russ