Resuming The Search For Larry 7/30 - 8/4

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Resuming The Search For Larry 7/30 - 8/4

Post by TehipiteTom »

Condolences to Larry's friends & family, and kudos to Maverick for all your work on this.
Vaca Russ
Topix Expert

Post by Vaca Russ »

This is truly bittersweet. Sad about the loss, glad the recovery can maybe provide some closure.

Thanks Maverick for all of your effort.

Thanks as well to the SAR team.

-Russ
"...Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and then becomes a host and then a master?"

Kahil Gibran.
norcalhiker
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by norcalhiker »

Thank you to all that participated in the search, whether in person or through other ways. Larry, you will be missed.

Play safely.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

My condolences to Larry's family and friends. As tough a time as this has been I do hope some peace and closure is finally found. A huge thank you to all involved in the search effort
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

Like others I send my condolences to the family and hope that this somehow brings closure.

I have a great deal of admiration and respect for Maverick, SAR, and everyone envolved in keeping things going through all of the difficulties.

Rest in peace Larry
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Bittersweet is definitely the feeling; at the same time, I really hope someday to meet those incredible people, led by maverick, who were willing selflessly to band together to help with this search. And, thanks to those who brought it to fruition. I'll certainly try to do my bit to keep Larry's spirit alive!

Any interest among folks here in looking into the possibility of petitioning the USGS to name a peak in the Taboose area in honor of Larry?

cameron
avocats
Topix Newbie

Post by avocats »

I've spent many a spare moment since October thinking about Larry. He was a great colleague and an endlessly engaging friend. Thank you for your commitment to ending the family's quest for answers. It always felt odd talking about Larry in the past tense when there was still some crazy chance that he would turn up. Now we can focus on what a great friend, father, and --yes-- lawyer (one of the good ones) he was. You are a great group.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

CG wrote:
Any interest among folks here in looking into the possibility of petitioning the USGS
to name a peak in the Taboose area in honor of Larry?
Hi Cameron,

Have started looking into that several weeks ago, when I get more info will post
it immediately. Thanks Mav
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

Stunned, saddened, relieved. Although I knew him not, I followed along in hopes of gentle closure. My hopes are that he left in peace. I tip my hat to the huge efforts and for Mav and HST for never letting up.
hikerdmb
Topix Acquainted

Post by hikerdmb »

Many thanks to all who searched and my thoughts and prayers are with his family.