Resuming The Search For Larry 7/30 - 8/4

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
calipidder
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Resuming The Search For Larry 7/30 - 8/4

Post by calipidder »

I've been browsing through old HST threads to get inspiration for future Sierra outings, and when I come across a particularly engaging report or picture it seems that 9x out of 10 it has been Larry. I never met him in person but he clearly loved our mountains and may he RIP in his happy place.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

From United Sates Board On Geographic Names:
The U.S. Board on Geographic Names will consider proposals for assignment of
the names or nicknames of deceased persons to geographic features in the United
States and areas under the jurisdiction of the United States. The Board will not
consider names that commemorate or may be construed to commemorate living
persons. In addition, a person must be deceased at least 5 years before a
commemorative proposal will be considered.
So we shall revisit this in the Fall of 2017.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
cgundersen
Topix Fanatic

Post by cgundersen »

Nice work Mav in tracking down the requirements. I think it should be feasible to come up with a pretty compelling proposal. From the bit I've heard about such efforts, the more support one can bring to bear the better, so maybe it would be prudent to start a petition now on HST? And, I think that input from local communities can also be beneficial, so if there are folks in the Owens Valley on up to Mammoth who would be willing to enlist support (get petitions signed?) that might be a valuable contribution, too.
cameron
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

My condolences go out to Larry's family & friends. Much kudos to maverick and all SAR teams for all effort put into this.

Yeah, could name a peak - or have a plaque engraved and permanently installed.
Saltydog
Topix Acquainted

Post by Saltydog »

Nothing wrong with informally naming a feature once the right one is identified and settled on. Popular acceptance could even be a more fitting tribute than official recognition.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Saltydog wrote:
Popular acceptance could even be a more fitting tribute than official recognition.
As was done with Mount Morgenson.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SweetSierra
Topix Regular

Post by SweetSierra »

In talking with folks, I would question why 5 years? There may be a reason for that that may not apply in Larry's case. If so, yes, definitely, go for it in 2017.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by kpeter »

Let me echo the many remarks in this thread praising Maverick's perseverance and dedication to helping Claus and the rest of Larry's family gain closure. I corresponded with Mav offline as he pursued political support to get the permit quota lifted, and I can say that he doggedly kept at it until the bureaucracy relented. That was just one tiny part of the overall job he did, but I am sure that Mav brought the same focus to many other dimensions of this effort. In short, Mav has exhibited some of the finest qualities of selflessness and volunteerism I have ever seen, and we all should be very proud to count him among our leaders.

I posted my eulogy of Larry months ago in another thread. I believe I was born the same year as Larry. On the one hand, I would like to live for a few more decades and add to my treasure trove of Sierra memories, and the tragedy is that Larry will not have that chance. But if we were allowed to choose a place of passing, who among us would not want it to be high in the Sierra? I will feel Larry's presence with every trek through that spirit-laden region.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

My sincere condolences to Larry's family and friends.

Maverick has my deepest respect for his leadership, work, and persistence for his continued actions to help bring closure to Larry's fate. Thanks too for the dedication of the SAR teams for their tireless work and expertise.

While I did not know Larry personally, and for reasons I cannot adequately explain, his disappearance in the mountains oddly became a bit more personal for me than I would have anticipated (and frankly hard for me to admit). I suppose most of us here share a common bond, and hence there is some Larry in all of us, for his love of the mountains.

"Men go back to the mountains, as they go back to sailing ships at sea, because in the mountains and on the sea they must face up, as did men of another age, to the challenge of nature. Modern man lives in a highly synthetic kind of existence. He specializes in this and that. Rarely does he test all his powers or find himself whole. But in the hills and on the water the character of a man comes out." -- Abram T. Collier

Rest In Peace Larry - We'll See You On The Summit

Last edited by Shawn on Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
glykon
Topix Newbie

Post by glykon »

I want to offer my heartfelt thanks to Maverick, to the individuals who volunteered to join this search and to those who helped in so many other ways.

To the extraordinary, dedicated members of Inyo, Sierra Madre and Sequoia SAR, I will never adequately be able to convey my appreciation. I had the opportunity last October to travel up to
Sequoia and spend time with a few of the people involved in the initial search and rescue effort.
I was genuinely moved by their commitment and the sense that it was for them truly personal.

Maverick, you entered my life a few short months ago, at a time of great pain. Your dedication
and perseverance in the effort to find Larry has helped to ease that anguish. Through our
numerous conversations and email exchanges I feel I have come to know you in some small way. And though we have never met, you have become a friend.

As Alexander and I try to find our way forward, we have been buoyed by the love and care of family
and friends and by the compassion of strangers, especially the many of you who belong to the HST
community.

Larry, you will remain a part of who we are, always.

Claus