Resuming The Search For Larry 7/30 - 8/4

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Resuming The Search For Larry 7/30 - 8/4

Post by maverick »

Fellow HST Members & Non Members,

Would like to find out if any of you would be interested in joining our search for our fellow member, mountain brother, friend, and father who disappeared last October while out on a 4 day trip into the Taboose Pass region.
There are several HST members and some of Larry's friends from SoCal who have already signed up to take part in this search.
Would like to now open this up to all forum members so everyone has the opportunity to volunteer in this collective effort. Many had family, work, or other obligations that made it impossible for them to participate at the time.
Some voiced that they did not have the experience or the conditions were to extreme/dangerous for them to volunteer at that time. If you have any questions
please PM me
or e-mail me at pagoston@prioryca.org

Below is a form that I would like anyone who is interested in volunteering to answer and send to me via PM or e-mail.
Those of you who have already come on board or have voiced interest from HST would like you to please answer the questions too since there are some that were
not asked initially and we do need this information
Periodically there will be updates, especially as we get some feedback from SEKI in the next few months. Also several request will be made in regards to info about
routes, peaks, and possible photos of certain sections that are high on the probability list.
Please refrain from adding any conjecture or theories to this thread, we are
trying to base our search on as much factual, real life, first hand experiences/info as possible.
Would like to thank those who have already come on board, those who may consider coming with us, and any pertinent information you may be able to supply down the line!

Information Requested From Volunteers:

Our search will be concentrating on the Taboose Corridor,
and from south of Mather Pass to the Pinchot Pass region.
The distances and areas that can be covered are dependent on the volunteer turn out. The more people we have the more areas that we can cover thoroughly
and especially safely. If turnout is lower than expected we shall cover the areas of highest probability according to info gathered from various sources.

Would like to qualify all potential hikers (searchers) so we can get an understanding of your levels of experience and that you can be placed onto a team accordingly and
then be assigned to areas using these perimeters.
No one will be asked to do anything outside of their comfort levels.

Experience Levels:
Level 1: Backpackers with no cross-country/off-trail experience
Level 2: Backpacker with some cross-country/off-trail experience (class 2)
Level 3: Backpacker with lots of cross-country/off-trail experience (class 2-3) peak bagging, and very strong navigational skills

If you have backpacked through this area and are familiar with it please indicate this when sending in your information. Is it okay to contact you in this regard?

Please indicate how many days that you would be able to participate.

Equipment: Do you have a Spot, SatPhone, GPS, or Walkie Talkie? Are you well versed with a GPS?

Transportation: Do you drive a SUV or pick up truck, if yes, would you be willing to drive fellow backpackers to the trail head from the Taboose Creek
Campground area?
The road to the trail head is a light four-wheel drive road which is best not attempted by a 2 wheel drive passenger vehicle that has a low clearance level also the trail head has a limited amount of parking spaces available.

We understand that some folks may not be able to start Tuesday, but may be able to join in on Wednesday or Thursday and that is fine, if you can only search
for 2-3 days please do not disqualify yourself, anything you have to contribute is happily excepted. Saturday afternoon will be our memorial/celebration of Larry’s
life, Sunday will be our day to hike out.

Hopefully with a united effort we can get closure for Claus and his son Alexander.
Last edited by maverick on Mon May 27, 2013 5:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Cardinal Lake / Split Mtn

Post by maverick »

Looking for any beta you may have on the Cardinal Lake
area. Main area's of interest is the ridge between Cardinal Lake and the small lake on the other side of the ridge(south). Has any one used this pass before? Also any beta including photo's of the terrain and lakes northwest, between Cardinal Lake and the JMT, also including lakes west of Split on the western side of the spur ridge, not Lake 11975. Anyone climb the West Face route up Split, ascent or descent? Or stayed at Lake 11975 and may have taken photo's of the West Face of Split?
Please no Google Earth shots, or hearsay. Jpg file via PM please so details will be more legible/larger or link to photo site. Thanks.

Info sent so far: 3
Updated 3/15/13

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
norcalhiker
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: Resuming The Search For Larry 7/30 - 8/4

Post by norcalhiker »

PM sent about possibly joining in.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Involvement

Post by maverick »

Fellow Volunteers Searchers and Members,

First, thanks Norcalhiker and the other members and non-members who have volunteered to help in the search since this post.
Second, those of you who have come on board, those who have made a soft commitment, or those who cannot participate in the ground effort but would like to help in some way I would request that you get involved in the planning/recruiting process by researching the web, posting on other Sierra backpacking sites or asking backpacking friends/acquaintances for possible photo's to the area's in question that is and will be posted in the next following weeks/months.
This information is important to the success of this recovery effort.
Also getting in touch with moderators of other Sierra related sites, Sierra outdoor stores/boards, to post our volunteer search effort with the link to this page included.
Please post here (in this thread) what site, store, board, or community organization that you plan to contact or have contacted with date/contact person included so we
do not contact the same person/place more than once.
Every tidbit of information you research, every effort you make in contacting others makes a huge difference and is highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Peter

PS The PCTA through Norcalhiker has been contacted and asked to post the search effort related info and requested to ask thruhikers to keep a watchful eye open for any evidence between Cardinal Mtn and Upper Basin.

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Reassurance

Post by maverick »

A few folks volunteering voiced their concern about being able to keep up or covering long distances quickly. This mission is not about speed but about covering assigned sections thoroughly, speed and/or covering ground quickly
Is not a concern or goal here.

balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

I posted this on our blog...and on about six other hiking websites
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Balzaccom,

First, thank you very much for taking the time to do this.
Second, could I ask you to please add a list of the websites to your post to avoid cross posting.

balzaccom
Topix Addict

Post by balzaccom »

Yosemite News and Discussion
Backpacking.net
Yosemite Forum
Practical Backpacking
Trailspace

And our blog. I think that's it.
Check our our website: http://www.backpackthesierra.com/
Or just read a good mystery novel set in the Sierra; https://www.amazon.com/Danger-Falling-R ... 0984884963
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

anyone posted to supertopo yet?
Tollermom
Topix Acquainted

Post by Tollermom »

Cross posted to TrailGroove magazine.
http://www.trailgroove.com/forum.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;