Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
bkpkr
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by bkpkr »

Thank you gdurkee for clarification.
RichardCullip
Topix Regular

Post by RichardCullip »

John Harper wrote:Been following this story since first reported. I think everyone is learning some valuable lessons about solo hiking. I do it a lot, although no where near as hardcore as most of you on this forum. I'm glad to hear some members have volunteered to help try and locate this man. I have none of the late season equipment required to even participate. I'm sure a lot of us are similar "summer" soldiers, not "winter" warriors.

I'm sure a lot more would love to help, but the pros are doing their best, and abandoning all to join an amateur expedition, although noble, seems likely an interference with our public safety professionals.

I realize there are a lot of emotions, and it is very sad that we have apparently lost a fine moderator over some of the moral and emotional issues involved. I just pray that the professional teams stay at it and successfully rescue our fellow forum member.

John Harper
Well said, John. You've captured my exact thoughts much better than I could have.
Life is good. Eternal Life is better!

Richard
sierraholic
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierraholic »

My stomach has been in knots the past week. I don't know Larry from "Adam", but his disappearance has made me reevaluate my priorities, namely my family. As much as I would like to help with the search, I would endanger myself and others. I am a "weekend warrior" who lives vicariously through Larry's and many of your trip reports (maverick too). Don't take many of the folks here not volunteering as not caring. We care! We just don't want to cause more problems that could take away from the true SAR. Hope you come back, Maverick! And doubly hope you come back, Larry!
"Not all who wonder are lost!"
calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Yes, please don't take not volunteering as not caring. The last thing we need is a SAR for other members of this board, and I appreciate people recognizing their limitations in this situation. Yes i wanted to, but it's clear to me that due to injury issues, etc, i would be a hinderance, not a help. While searchers are good, liability is not, especially with the incoming weather. Comb through Larry's posts, look at your experiences and photos in the area, and share what is relevant.

Thanks to the SAR personnel who have put so much into this. I've learned a lot and am reevaluating how I act when I plan and go on solo trips.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

Emotionally, I want to volunteer for Mavs efforts, but I did not for several reasons: 1)Mainly, It was likely to be more a hindrance than help to the SAR, sorry, 2) and well...there are other reasons, availability being one of them, but mainly it's reason #1. I care about this situation very much, but I would really hate to think I did anything that interfered with the rescue effort. The experts know what they are doing. Best of luck to Mavs task-force.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

I was interested in going on mavs search but i re-read the requirements and i have no winter sleeping bag,winter tent,winter overnight experience.I have no off trail experience nor know how to read topos.I do snowshoeing in winter but day trips.I dont know if i can be of any use?
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by richlong8 »

DoyleWDonehoo wrote:Emotionally, I want to volunteer for Mavs efforts, but I did not for several reasons: 1)Mainly, It was likely to be more a hindrance than help to the SAR, sorry, 2) and well...there are other reasons, availability being one of them, but mainly it's reason #1. I care about this situation very much, but I would really hate to think I did anything that interfered with the rescue effort. The experts know what they are doing. Best of luck to Mavs task-force.
I don't have the winter equipment, or the SAR training necessary. I wish I did...that could just as easily been me as Larry. I spent Saturday and Sunday, 10/21 and 10/22 in the High Sierra also.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

While I whole-heartily applaud Mav's gung ho attitude here, trying to rescue a good friend, his obviously frustrated reaction and subsequent quitting of HST because of a lack of mass member response puzzles me.

Having gone through a few years of SAR training in Yosemite, one instantly realized: (1) There is close/complex coordination among all involved in any high-country search, and (2) These are the best prepared searchers alive. They have the gear, they know the area, and they have practiced long and hard for just this contingency. Summer Sierra searches in benevolent weather are hard enough, but winter investigations in adverse conditions such as exist now, the conditions this late in the year present inherent dangers. Right now, 2+ feet of crusty snow covers the search area...post-hole hell. Stamina, gear, coordination, and carefully practiced rescue routines immediately come into play. Training and close communication with (and dependence on) what the other SAR members are constantly doing hopefully lessens the possibility of other collateral casualties.

While some of our HST members are probably capable of getting up that 6000 foot pass in summer conditions, their actual assisting in any winter search up there under present conditions today, without prior group training, seems at best, problematic if not precarious. Sometimes things are better left to the pros even though doing nothing can make one feel helpless.

Additionally, being a solo artist myself, I realize that there will always be inherent dangers in hiking alone. I know and accept these risks as they only involve me. Causing someone else being hurt if/when rescuing me…
I freely choose my routes knowing the dangers; I would not wish peril on anyone else.

Here we have no tracks, no signs, no fires, no tent, and Larry is over a week late on a relatively short, 4-day adventure. Over 35 highly-qualified and highly-trained volunteers spent 200+ wilderness days (and nights) looking for Larry with the assistance of both two helicopters and dogs; day-time weather search conditions all this week have been good. While still optimistic, the fact remains that more inclement weather is soon expected – winter is eminent, current backpacking/travel conditions just getting up to 11,000 feet are treacherous, and crappy Sierra cement makes travel perfidious, hiding everything.

Bottom line: I pray for Larry and I hope Mav reconsiders.

Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
windknot
Topix Fanatic

Post by windknot »

Deleted, off-topic.
Last edited by windknot on Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
canukyea
Topix Regular

Post by canukyea »

I feel very conflicted about the whole thing, despite being a new-ish member. It seemed like it would be hard to coordinate an informal members' search party if some members, like myself, could not do the whole 5 days. But then, Maverick's resignation post got my attention and I thought I would make my case and see what happens.

Because of things being busier than usual now, I was only able to offer 2 days (this weekend). Haven't gotten a reply, so I assume Maverick has left the forum entirely? At any rate, the offer still stands. I have microspikes and warmer pants and gloves, no other winter gear, and though I have never camped in snow, I can handle colder temps well. I would guess I can get over the pass in 5 hours in the most ideal conditions with no pack, but in snow and with all the gear... maybe 7 or 8, depending on if the trail is broken in at all. If this is more useful than it is a liability, I will go.

Regardless, I hope everyone out there stays safe and I hope that Larry will come home in good shape. As someone who does solo trips, some of which have some element of stupidity in them, I have an understanding of how scary things are for loved ones when not all goes as planned.