Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Alternate search thread.

Post by Rockyroad »

Thanks for starting this thread as I didn’t want to add non-useful information to the other. However, I would like to chime in that I too thought hard about joining the search but succumbed to reason as I’ve never camped in snow and even in the summer, my routes have mainly been on trail. I don’t know Larry, Maverick, Shawn nor Sparky but hope for their safe return. I also wanted to add that I see a lot of caring, compassion and willingness to help fellow members from the “words” of the HST community and their inability to directly contribute to the ground search efforts shouldn’t take away from that.
EastSideClimb
Topix Acquainted

Post by EastSideClimb »

I just wanted to add my sincerest hopes that there will be a positive outcome to this. I've been keeping track of developments so much, but for whatever reason, have waited to post. I just wanted to say that the sheer joy, sense of community, and fantastic stories and information that I've utilized (and I've directly benefited from Larry's trip reports) have made me a better outdoor enthusiast, and I wanted to say thanks for that first and foremost. As not an avid contributor I felt a little awkward jumping in and making judgments about recent developments. I can say however that the wandering spirit and sheer independence of being a Westerner compels me to admire those willing to risk their lives for others. Yet on the flip side having experienced high sierra snow (although nothing like that of Taboose pass area) in October before, I know how difficult the conditions can be.

I hope and pray that Larry is found and everybody headed to the high country involved in the search efforts considers their strength and limitations and makes smart decisions.
orbitor
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by orbitor »

gary c.

I think you are right in that the main thread may have gotten off topic a bit, but I wouldn't call it "hijacking" and I don't believe it was truly necessary to start a new thread. A lot of folks were (and still are) following the main thread, and at some point someone will contribute useful information for the search, if anything by reading up on what another person had to say. Additionally, it's necessary to have a debate on what this situation means to people and how the community reacted. Personally, I feel like I learned so much about the HST and its individuals - even though we're all behind computer screens or posting from mobile devices, the support for Larry has been overwhelming. I've only been a member since earlier this year, but it's obvious to me that people do care about one another and would do anything in their power to help out, given their own circumstances.

windknot echoed many of my own feelings in his post below. I am younger and definitely much less experienced than most of this board, yet I would not hesitate to join a search party if I knew I wasn't more a liability than help. I hiked over Taboose Pass and climbed Split over Labor Day weekend; the conditions were ideal at the time however and our group was fairly large. The information I could contribute in current conditions would be of little help and I have no experience with winter travel in the High Sierra. But this doesn't mean I care less than any other HST member who has followed the developments every day and prayed hard for Larry's rescue.

Hoping that these discussions lead to positive takeaways for people and do not alienate valuable members like maverick, who can react hastily under distress.

Thank you to SEKI SAR, Inyo County rescuers and maverick & crew for all their efforts!
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

The thread is fine and will stay where it is.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
bkpkr
Topix Novice

Post by bkpkr »

Source: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8551" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
by FISHPOLE on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:27 am

...Talk is cheap. Boots on the ground no matter who they are is what is needed and info from a SPOC SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT.
I’m not even sure of the reasons so many people write all these excuses of not being able to participate in the search. It sounds pathetic (no offence). But even worse some, especially those who excused themselves, try to judge the individuals who volunteered to do the search on their own for such an “irresponsible” decision.
SSSdave wrote:...At any time an unexpected loose boulder in talus, or invisible slippery spot on a log crossing over a large deep fast stream, or falling down into labyrinths between large talus, or a single ice hard spot during a traverse across steep firm snow, or unexpected pack weight shift while climbing move on an exposed face of steeps, or electrocution by lightning, are possible despite however careful one might be...
Yes, going to the mountains, especially for multiple days, at this time of the year is very risky and dangerous for majority of hikers/backpackers and even mountaineers but many still take the challenge for whatever the reason. And then among those in trouble requiring SAR efforts, some were lucky to be found quickly, some were found accidently in the next spring/summer or even years later, and some others never. That is the reality. Mountains have no mercy and may painfully punish anyone, regardless of the expertise, for ignorance or disrespect, for even the slightest mistake.

In case of Larry nothing is known. We don’t really know if the storm contributed to Larry’s initial factor of his disappearance but for sure made the search very difficult. And these few people who decided to continue the search on their own may obviously get in trouble as well. There is no guarantee they would find any clue but at least would be able to live in peace. They try; perhaps Larry would do the same for them.

"There is something money cannot buy..."
BrianF
Topix Regular

Post by BrianF »

There are too many recriminations flying around, Everyone needs to live with their decisions and move ahead. There is no doubt that had this happened in summer or early fall there would have been a large turnout for a search effort. Right now it is essentially winter and that limits the field, and the viability of a search. Maverick obviously felt he had to try and more power to him, but not everyone can help. Now that the ground search is over Mav and his crew can search without interfering with the official search.
One of the first rules of SAR is to not become a victim yourself
The direction you are moving in is what matters, not the place you happen to be -Colin Fletcher
richlong8
Topix Expert

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by richlong8 »

bkpkr wrote:Source: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8551" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...Talk is cheap. Boots on the ground no matter who they are is what is needed and info from a SPOC SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT.
I’m not even sure of the reasons so many people write all these excuses of not being able to participate in the search. It sounds pathetic (no offence). But even worse some, especially those who excused themselves, try to judge the individuals who volunteered to do the search on their own for such an “irresponsible” decision.
I think emotions are high, but rather than respond to this post, which seems a little harsh, I would like to mention that there is a book written by Eric Blehm, "The Last Season" that details the SAR efforts to find Randy Mortenson, a very experienced NPS backcountry ranger assigned to Bench Lake, who went missing about 15 years ago.
I would like to recommend it to those of who have not read it. It seems to me to be a very sobering, realistic look of what is involved in these SAR efforts. I believe there are members here who know first hand about that search, and if I am off base for recommending the book, please correct my opinion. I think my heart is in the right place.
I don't see the book in the High Sierra Topix Book store, but it is available on Amazon for about $10.
1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351718690&sr=8-1&keywords=the+last+season+by+eric+blehm
sierraholic
Topix Acquainted

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by sierraholic »

bkpkr wrote:Source: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=8551" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is no guarantee they would find any clue but at least would be able to live in peace. They try; perhaps Larry would do the same for them.

"There is something money cannot buy..."
FISHPOLE and bkpkr:
Get off your high horses! Obviously since you are posting, neither of you are out there as part of the SAR! Those of us who have posted our sentiments or feelings about not being able to help out, in fact do feel bad we can't help. Its not pathetic. Pathetic is hiding behind a computer to judge others who are feeling empathetic for a missing person and his family. Go away! We don't need your negative vibes around here!
"Not all who wonder are lost!"
jessegooddog
Topix Regular

Post by jessegooddog »

Emotions are high and the frustration level is overboard; harsh words are being exchanged. Agree to disagree but let's not hurt Larry and his partner Claus, and remember that some day his son will read these posts.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic

Post by gary c. »

If I were SAR and durring a free moment I signed in to check for contributions to the search for Larry like there is in the first 20+ pages I would wonder why I waisted my time reading most of the last few pages. Not that it was all bad but mostly just not good search information. Those guys don't have time or interest in sitting there reading our community comentary. There only goal is to find Larry. So unless you have something useful to aid in the search by way of help, knowledge, sugestion, or even speculation you should leave the other thread strictly to the effort of finding Larry.

If you see a man with a job to do help him or stay out of his way and let him get it done so he can get back to his own family.
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray