Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

shoes

Post by freestone »

I edited all my posts regarding the picture of shoes Larry may have been wearing. Again, this was a stock image, staged, and taken previously. It was not an image taken by the rescuers. I apologize for the misstep. SEKI is monitoring this thread regularly, so keep the hunches and positive vibes coming!!
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

Thank you, everyone, for your appreciation of the SAR crew's efforts. I have passed this information along to the team. Our staff is working diligently and strategically to find Larry.

Yes, we are monitoring this board several times a day. It is clear from your posts that you care very much about Larry. We appreciate your ideas, feedback, knowledge of Larry, and help in getting the flyer distributed to various locations, too. While we are not able to address your posts individually or get into the specific details, please know that we are paying attention and you are being heard.

On the subject of the map posted by Lost Coyote, these areas have been considered/covered.
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

If Larry was set on Split, this is the route I would have chosen:
search area.JPG
Assumes he was going for Split, this would be where i'd look. I believe that was his plan before the storm. Just throwing it out there as I've never been there.
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

The following new information has been posted on the Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks' website at: http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/newsreleases.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Oct. 28, 2012 - Map of Search Area for Missing Hiker Larry Conn

(If you do not see the entry for Oct. 28 on the page, click on the "Refresh" button once or twice and it should come up.)
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

Search Area Map
That is a massive area to cover with or without snow on the ground..wow.
Attachments
MAP-20121027_2000hrs_Taboose74_PIOmap_8-5x11.jpg
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It would be nice SEKI if it was shaded with what was already searched.. And yes, that's a huge area. Would have thought the interviews narrowed it down a bit.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I'm sure it didn't start out that big, but expanded with each search area completed. You have to remember their primary concern is with the SAR. I commend them for keeping this board posted with the info they have. It's a lot better than knowing nothing, but I'd rather they not spend too much valuable time away from their primary objective. After reading "The Last Season" a couple of times, I was awed (am I overusing that word? I can't help it) at the anatomy of a SAR. After my family and I experienced it first hand, I am confident our SAR teams on all sides of the Sierra are among the best their are.
Last edited by Jimr on Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
DP Hiker
Topix Newbie

Post by DP Hiker »

Just posting what info I have. I've backpacked with Larry on quite a few trips in the past. He usually sets his tent up in out of the way, secluded places. Often I have to look around a bit to figure out where he set up his tent. He uses the trails to get to an area but spends most his time off trail exploring, especially hidden lakes and peaks. He can cover 15 miles a day with ease but most of all he seems to like exploring new areas.

He is very experienced, clam and rational. Not the type to panic. In a bad situation he would most likely figure a way out of it. That is the part of this that concerns me most. For someone like Larry it would take something major to put him in this situation. But he would most likely keep a cool head and do his best to survive.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

rlown wrote:If Larry was set on Split, this is the route I would have chosen:
MAP
Assumes he was going for Split, this would be where i'd look. I believe that was his plan before the storm. Just throwing it out there as I've never been there.
The little lakes in the lower center below the marked "Wetlands" would make a pretty good base-camp. I would figure all of the other little streams in the area would be dried up on Larry's weekend, and any camp would have to be near reliable water. Also those lakes have a fair amount of trees around them and good per-existing camps, even for a stealth camper, which I think Larry is.

As for the NPS map, The Muro Blanco, where are the thickest forest (and ample firewood), was still not included. A stroll look-see down the Blanco as far as the Cartridge Pass trail (yes, it is still there) would be worthwhile.

Edit: This map:
http://www.hillmap.com/m/ag1zfmhpbGxtYX ... 1hcBjFljcM" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...still has the location of the old Cartridge Pass trail, some of which is gone but most of which is still there, if faint in places
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

ERIC wrote:Search Area Map
That is a massive area to cover with or without snow on the ground..wow.
Though it was not included, I have to assume that east of Taboose Pass was also included. Just south of the pass there are some pretty impressive cliffs, and someone in a storm with limited visibility looking for the pass... Just sayin'.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;