Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
paul
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by paul »

I see someone got this posted to the Yahoo JMT group.
lostcoyote
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by lostcoyote »

BrianF wrote:here is a photo from the SEKI new release from the search area, gives you an idea of what the searchers and Larry are up against
from october 2009 when i got skunked in a nasty storm...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2BMDoiM_LU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Civilians going up would interfere with the SAR mission and may even impede the investigation Rlown, otherwise I would have gone up tomorrow. They have a protocol that is followed, so I will honor that and there experience.

The waiting and not being able to do anything, especially with the knowledge of the area and Larry, is extremely frustrating to say the least, but cannot imagine what his family and friends are going through right now.

The area from Mather to Pinochet and in-between is easy travel but not with the snow. Plus getting up to Spilt, Upper Basin Cross, down the Muro Blanco, Lakes east
of Marjorie is a lot area cover, though UPB, and the Marjorie area are open space the Bench Lake Trail and JMT for a few miles up towards UB has tree cover that can
impede a helicopter line of sight.

Claus said they are looking for foot prints but none can be found, which is slowing down any progress. So all we can do is sit and wait, and hopefully they will give us
some further information when they find something.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Freestone you can shed some light on this since you were in this area a couple of
days before Larry.
From Bench Lake, Taboose is a beacon of hope more than any other perspective. Larry is an alpinist, he knows the best way out. The Eastern Sierra is his domain, Taboose would be his choice.

Viewing Taboose from Bench lake on Wednesday October 17.
I am sorry my friends, tears are my weakness now. The landscape is so deceptively easy looking, but for an off trail soloist, every step taken is contentious and unforgiving.

Pragmatically, I hope that the rescuers focus their efforts in the Pinchot pass area. The alpine areas where their are no trails. Thats where Larry likes to be.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

eee333 wrote: I've posted to these FB groups, so far:
  • Elevation, Sierra Adventure Essentials
    Sage to Summit
    Sierra Club Angeles Chapter
    Sierra Club Loma Prieta Chapter
    Sierra Club Loma Prieta Chapter - Peak Climbing Section
    Sierra Club SF Bay Chapter
    Sierra Mountain Center
    Value Sports
Also posted to the HST FB page (credit Shawn!) and the JMT page (credit KathyW!).

And FWIW, from his posts, Larry claims he does not skimp on food. :thumbsup:
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
thegib
Topix Regular

Post by thegib »

If the snow that fell on the 11th + was sticking to the high peaks, as I assume it was, then, given his footwear, he would likely have chosen to peak bag a southern/western exposure - to minimize snow travel. Keep searching SAR's.
freestone
Topix Expert

Post by freestone »

Attention all Bloggers, please publish the flyer on your sites if you have not done so already.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

ERIC wrote:Realizing this is typically a slower time of year on the forums, I just sent out a mass email to our nearly 4,000 members. Wish I had thought to do so sooner..
Thanks for sending the mass post. I was unaware that one of our own was in trouble. Please keep praying, and don't give up hope.
kpeter
Topix Fanatic

Post by kpeter »

The circumstances are quite reminiscent of the Charlie Hench story. Let's hope it has an equally happy conclusion.
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

I placed a site-wide notice at the top of every page of HST (wish I had thought of doing this earlier).