Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
canukyea
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by canukyea »

Hmm wait, so to be really clear, did they search Taboose Pass trail from bottom to top on both east and west sides?
aviddk
Topix Newbie

Post by aviddk »

canukyea wrote:Hmm wait, so to be really clear, did they search Taboose Pass trail from bottom to top on both east and west sides?
I'll second that question!

David
sparky
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by sparky »

On the previous page, Jimmeans posted a map that shows GPS tracks of the ground and helo searches
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

sparky wrote:Possible, but less likely than other scenarios. Snow didn't start falling until 10:30 am at the earliest....looks to be more like 11am. He should have been over the crest by then, or at least within spitting distance.
So, the Taboose Pass trail was foot-searched as well as the cliffs to the south as well it seems, from the map.

The fact that snow did not fall until 10:30 Monday or later is disturbing. Any backpacker of experience worth his/her salt would be beating tracks to the TH Monday on the discovery of the bad weather that had obviously descended Monday morning. On any given day on a trip I am well on my way to the next destination by 10:30 AM, and if the weather is obviously turning bad (as I am sure it was), I would be out of camp before sunup. I bet it was true of Larry as well. And if he was close to the pass when the snow hit (which I think he would be with an early start), I don't think anything would stop him until he was over it. Retreat seems less likely.
This would suggest that if anything happened to Larry, it was before Monday. After reading some more of his TR/reports, it seems he is a stealth camper and a hard-core cross-country mountaineer who actually sought out difficult terrain. These facts together severely complicate a rescue. It suggests that he is not in any of the usual places. It would simplify things if his tent could be found, but his habits makes that harder to do. The fact that no trace, no fire, no snow-stamped messages, no shouts, no sightings, no trace can be found further suggest that whatever happened, happened away from his tent. Our hope lie with self rescue, an area not searched, or just an oversight while searching. Here's hoping for a miraculous outcome.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

The following information has been posted on Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks' website: http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/newsreleases.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Nov. 1, 2012 - Search Efforts Suspended for Missing Hiker Larry Conn at Kings Canyon National Park

- News Release (PDF, JPEG)
- Updated map of search area - 11/1 (PDF, JPEG)

If you do not see the Nov. 1 info, hit "Refresh" once or twice and it should show up.
canukyea
Topix Regular

Post by canukyea »

sparky wrote:On the previous page, Jimmeans posted a map that shows GPS tracks of the ground and helo searches
I see, but to me there's some ambiguity since it only shows the very top portion of Taboose Pass and doesn't specify if it was searched all the way from the TH.
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

From the above release:
Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks, CA – Efforts to locate missing hiker Larry Conn have been suspended after an intense search revealed no clues. The search of likely areas lasted for eight days utilizing 56 personnel from multiple agencies, with 10 ground search teams, three dog teams, and five helicopters. Conn began a four-day trip in the rugged wilderness of Kings Canyon National Park starting at Taboose Pass on October 19, when he was seen by an outbound hiker. A winter storm arrived in the area on the evening of October 20 and deposited up to 12 inches of snow. Conn was reported overdue to the Inyo County Sheriff’s Department on the evening of October 23, and the Sheriff’s Department confirmed his vehicle was still at the trailhead. On October 24, the Inyo County Sheriff’s Department notified the National Park Service of the missing hiker. Search operations began in Kings Canyon National Park on October 24 and continued through October 31. Environmental conditions were challenging in the search area – a total of 48 square miles of mountainous terrain. Elevations ranged from 8,000 to 14,000 feet. Nighttime temperatures dropped to as low as 15 degrees Fahrenheit. Snowdrifts made travel by foot difficult. Two searchers were evacuated by helicopter due to medical concerns related to environmental conditions.

The Incident Management Team, with the assistance of the State Search and Rescue Coordinator, reviewed operations and decided to suspend the active search. According to Incident Commander Dave Fox,

“The National Park Service and our partners have searched for Larry Conn in challenging conditions in a vast area of wilderness. We have followed up on all potential clues. There is little information left to direct search operations. We will continue to actively search for Larry Conn, if new information is revealed through investigation or tips.”
Words cannot express.
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I have been confused by the report of 12" snow falling on Oct. 20th.

clearly shows when snow began to fall. Of course the sensors could be malfunctioning.....but they seem to be working fine now?
norcalhiker
Founding Member

Post by norcalhiker »

I'm sad to see that this is quentinc :(
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

sparky wrote:I have been confused by the report of 12" snow falling on Oct. 20th.
Me too. I think they must mean the 22nd. From the beginning I heard the storm came in Monday, not Saturday.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;