Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
Shawn
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by Shawn »

Thank you Maverick for your leadership, skill, persistence, endurance (you and Sparky covered some serious terrain) and eloquent words.

Shawn
DP Hiker
Topix Newbie
Experience: N/A

Post by DP Hiker »

Thanks you Maverick for doing this and for all your efforts. I means a lot to me and many others. It is very difficult to accept that Larry is not coming back. The only consolation is that he was doing something he loved.

Alan
copeg
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Post by copeg »

Well said Maverick. While I never met Larry in person, I knew him through his postings here and he will be missed. My condolences to Larry's family and friends. Thanks to everyone who has given their time in the search for Larry, from the SAR teams to the HST volunteer team members and organizers. And thanks for keeping every worrying and concerned person on this forum up to date as best they could through this tough time
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

We all take the risks when we enter the mountains and sometimes they catch up with us. It is however indeed the place to go for those who love the mountains. To spend a single day traveling in them is living more then many people do in their life time.

I think we can be sure that he will not turn into a long term mountain mystery. We will find him next season.
DAVELA
Topix Regular

Post by DAVELA »

Say it aint so,man. ](*,)

this is really,really,really depressing...

i hope there is a miracle + Larry walks outta there.

I never met you Larry,but from recently reading some of your old posts here, you are a rockstar.I am sending best wishes wherever you may be and please walk out of there soon.

](*,)
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Timberline
Topix Regular

Post by Timberline »

Been watching , praying and hoping for the best since the beginning of this episode. With all due respect and compassion for those who are closest to Larry, I want to share a thought that some good may still remain here, although to see it we may have to look on a higher plane. I've said here before that, truly for me, being in the High Sierra is where I have always felt the most alive. I imagine the same could be said about our friend and colleague Larry Conn. If so, his departure does not occur absent of that deep spiritual awareness that living to the fullest really means. I did not know you Larry, but I wish you eternal peace. Godspeed, brother of the mountains.
Let 'er Buck! Back in Oregon again!
hikin_jim
Topix Regular

Post by hikin_jim »

Really sorry to hear that he hasn't been found. I know firsthand the pain of not knowing. God be with his family and loved ones.

HJ
Backpacking stove reviews and information: Adventures In Stoving
LMBSGV
Topix Fanatic

Post by LMBSGV »

Ever since SEKI called off the active, extensive search, I've been trying to find the right words to express what I was feeling. I wake up in the middle of the night and feel haunted. Thanks Maverick for putting those feelings into the right words.
I don’t need a goal destination. I need a destination that meets my goals.

http://laurencebrauer.com
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

If something positive can come from all of this, at least in my case it has forced me to consider a SPOT or similar device, and I think maybe others feel or are starting to feel the same. With all the tech advances, they are very small and lite, and are bound to improve. I would hate to think I would take up so much resources should I have a problem in the wilderness. Godspeed Larry, wherever you are.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CinnamonGirl
Topix Acquainted

Post by CinnamonGirl »

Larry was one of us and this touches all of us. I am moved by the passion, compassion and concern by the members of this board. The spirit of mountaineering lives on. I had a good time hiking with you in the East Mojave, Nov 2008 Larry, and my heart breaks for the loved ones that are missing you and hurting right now. God bless you and yours.

if i remember it correctly, this is the character from who Larry chose his trail name...

Quentin Compson is a fictional character created by William Faulkner. He is an intelligent, neurotic, and introspective son of the Compson Family. He is featured in the classic novels The Sound and the Fury and Absalom, Absalom! as well as the short stories, "That Evening Sun" and "A Justice". Some of his thoughts are articulated with Faulkner's innovative stream-of-consciousness technique. In Absalom, Absalom!, he attempts to solve and reflect on a mysterious tragedy in the past. The passage in The Sound and the Fury's entry gives more information about the character.