Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
caveman
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by caveman »

I have received a response from Alan, the one who backpacked with him in May 2011. Alan informed me that he talked to Larry about Gardiner Basin at one point, but not Amphitheater. Attached are two pictures of Larry in that snowy May 2011 trip. Again, keep in mind these pictures we're taken a year and a half ago. Following is Alan's response:

"Checking my pictures for that trip, these are the only two that show what gear Larry wore when we hiked in the snow.

My two cents is that Larry most definitely brought the right gear for inclement weather. He's been caught in snowy conditions many times in the Sierras, so I'm pretty sure he took the right clothes that would keep him dry and warm in inclement weather. There were many trips where he talked about having to do a lot of postholing. To me, that would mean that he at least had gaters and, hopefully, water resistant pants. Oh, and extra pillows. He was one to bring pillows to fill out his backpack and help with lumbar support.

I'm also sure that he probably did not bring a stove with him. At the Kennedy Meadows trip, I was a little surprised when he said that a stove was too much of a hassle to take on a trip. But I think he would have been smart enough to at least bring matches in an event of an emergency. And he does bring extra food."
Attachments
larry2.png
larry1.png
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

-Thanks for the info and photo's Caveman!

- PM sent DAVELA
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sierraholic
Topix Acquainted

Post by sierraholic »

Don't give up hope yet! The other missing hiker on the western Sierra was found.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/10/29/494726 ... ierra.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thoughts and prayers for Larry and all the searchers!
"Not all who wonder are lost!"
lostcoyote
Topix Regular

Post by lostcoyote »

thegib wrote:Given the last thing he said was "explore Pinchot pass" I say day one: east side of Taboose. Day two follow JMT to Pinchot pass, then follow the ridge till it connects with the N ridge of Crater Mtn. Bag Crater if you've time, then descend to the lake at 3460m+ (headwaters of White fork). Day three, bag Ickes then cross over to the NW at 3740m+ and descend to as close to Bench as you can get. Day four out. That's a great little route.
i'll put your idea into a picture map. i believe john dittli also suggested this as a possibility yesterday. (route illustrated in blue)

also note that white fork basin is JUST OUTSIDE the search area (south of the red line i drew on the map above) illustrated a few days ago:

Last edited by lostcoyote on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

The following information was posted on Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks’ website at http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/newsreleases.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; today:

- news release

(If you do not see the entry for Oct. 29 on the webpage, click on the "Refresh" button once or twice and it should come up.)
John Dittli
Topix Expert

Post by John Dittli »

lostcoyote wrote:

also note that white fork basin is JUST OUTSIDE the search area (south of the red line i drew on the map above) illustrated a few days ago:

Yes, that's the route.

Actually I just looked over my notes: I descended the pass into Marjorie Lake, northwest of the marked route. The other pass "goes" as well though steeper.
Walk the Sky: Following the John Muir Trail
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

as long as we're in speculation mode, I would have put Larry in the green area with a look over the edge. If he was moving slow on the way in, losing elevation to Bench would be problematic for the trip out.
8137260943_d60f4f8148.jpg
funny thing here is we're not Larry. It all depends on what was interesting to him and if he base camped or not. Seki SAR has ample resources on the ground and are hitting all the right areas supposedly.. I hope they beat the storm.
DoyleWDonehoo
Founding Member

Post by DoyleWDonehoo »

rlown wrote:as long as we're in speculation mode, I would have put Larry in the green area with a look over the edge.
Yeah, I would think the green area lakes and the lakes to the north would be worthwhile to check. Ruling out the exposed areas would be the easiest to check off. If his tent was up and found, that would be a huge break. The fact that it was not is unfortunate.
Doyle W. Donehoo
Sierra Trails:
http://www.doylewdonehoo.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

Just curious how searches are preformed: Are spotters used, IE. pack in a x60+ spotting scope, picking a
point and still hunting, perhaps directing ground searchers to areas a visual "scope" search can not cover?
Not sure that it would make any difference but even my video camera will give me 800x mag as long as I have a battery in it. Hi mag will allow you to view into many brush covered areas.
Using a spotter at this stage might require more personal and time than you will have available.
I hope everyone in the ground search will have a signal panel and mirror as back-up to technology.
This sucks.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

funny thing here is we're not Larry
It would be helpful to know from those who have backpacked with Larry on how true he stays with his Wilderness Permit itinerary. To the letter, or just uses it as a framework, then tends to wander?

Will SEKI disclose the permit to our searchers?

He may have gone over Pinchot pass, then tried doing a loop to visit the large nameless lake east of Mount Pinchot. That lake could have piqued his curiosity because of it's remoteness.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien