Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by maverick »

Lostcoyote wrote: were those passes sent to SEKI S&R as possible places he
could have been day-hiking at to check out the crossings, hence, worth
looking at by air search?
They are checking the board, but will call the officer in charge.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Nobody probably wants to think about this right now but how many more days does he have until the search is called off? Isn't it 7 days and they quit?
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

:-#
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
gdurkee
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by gdurkee »

Speaking generally -- I want to emphasize I'm not in any way directly involved in this SAR -- there's absolutely no set time to end a search. Each day the command staff reviews what's been done, the relative probability of finding the person (POD Probability of Detection) in the areas searched; then decide on the next day's plans. If no clues are found and the command staff feels that each segment has been searched fairly thoroughly -- within the parameters of the resources available, the terrain and the danger from exposure or exhaustion etc to the searchers -- then at some point they start thinking about what can still reasonably be done. That leads to thoughts about moving to the next phase, which is less active. Most or all teams are pulled out of an area but the investigation continues. For instance, continuing to interview people who might have been in the area & seeking clues or anything to give somewhere specific to search. Often small teams or air flights continue as conditions change.

In addition, an analysis is taken on a person's chance of surviving whatever period of time has passed. This is usually done in a very structured and formal way and a team looks at a number of factors: the weather over the search period; the person's physical condition; equipment; food available to him & etc. There are also a number of cases where people have survived long after a search has survived long after an active search has been scaled down. These often add to the incredible tragedy of a SAR and are also considered when scaling down.

Hope that helps.

g.
DAVELA
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by DAVELA »

Best wishes and thoughts to quentinc to ride this one through!!! :nod:
http://www.suwa.org/protect-greater-canyonlands" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shawn
Topix Fanatic

Post by Shawn »

maverick wrote:
Gurkee wrote:
Does anyone know if he likely carries a cell phone?
Larry wrote in 2012:
Upper Lake Basin is even nicer, but my camera (actually iPhone, since my
point & shoots keep breaking) battery was getting low so I don't have many
photos.
Hope this will help George! :thumbsup:
Has anyone been in touch with "Claus" about this
- is his cell phone around the house; if not
- is it in his car (has his car been opened to check)?
- if neither in his home or car, one would think he'd have the iPhone with him
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thanks George for posting this, it gives everyone a clearer understanding about what will happen during the search. Thank you!

Let's not talk about any quitting Rogue, our HST brother needs all our positive thoughts. Let's keep any reality checks for a later time please.

Shawn, George D. has contacted SAR about the iphone so they will contact Claus and check the car.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

Thanks for that info George. I always thought there was a set number of days and then based on allot of what you said they would then call it off.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Any chance we can get an update on what areas have been searched from SEKI SAR?

It'd be nice to compare that with what's been mentioned about possible areas Larry might have had on his radar to visit.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Larry had Mac earbuds in place when I spoke with him. I could not tell if the devise was an iPhone or iPod, but I will call and make sure SEKI is aware of this. I think there may be some confusion with Split mountain and Stripped mountain. Stripped mountain is more in the vascinaty of Taboose. Split Mountain is north on the JMT toward Mather pass.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien