Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

Please call if you have any information about this overdue hiker (Oct. 24)--www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/newsreleases.htm.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by maverick »

Folks this is Larry aka "Quentinc" a member of HST, if you have any info please contact SEKI!!!!!!!!!!! Hope he is alright!
http://www.nps.gov/seki/parknews/upload ... 4-2012.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Now that I think of it I thought seeing his name earlier and after checking the records he was last active on this board today at 8:45 pm. So hopefully SEKI's info is incorrect.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
ironmike
Topix Regular

Post by ironmike »

Actually he hasn't posted since last Wednesday. The board stats say he lasted accessed the forum today but that could be someone else using his account, or even someone using his cellphone with a Tapatalk app. Perhaps someone could PM him and see if he is truly back.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

My name is Claus. I am a friend of Larry's and using his computer to post this message. Larry left on a backpack last Friday, the 19th. He was due back Monday but has not returned. He went in on the Taboose Pass trail. His tentative itinerary was to head up, generally, along the Muir trail toward Mather Pass and possibly climb Split Mt. Then he planned to head back toward Pinchot Pass and explore some of the creeks in that area. I have backpacked with Larry before but it was many years ago and never in this area. I have been trying to help the NPS and Inyo County Sheriff's department. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to areas in this vicinity that might appeal to Larry. I know he often strays from his itinerary and likes to explore new areas. Any help would much appreciated. Thanks.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

I ran into Larry last Friday at approximately 10:30 AM on the Taboose trail, about two miles from the trailhead. We spoke briefly and he mentioned that he was going to explore the area around Pinchot area, but made no mention of Split Mountain. He was carrying a Golite pack, using i-Pod ear buds. He said he only had four days, but looked well equiped. When I got to the trailhead, there were only 2 cars, his, a Suburu stationwagon, and mine.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Claus,

Larry has mentioned your name when we have talked before on the phone. Very sorry to read that it was not him on the board earlier. :(
He mentioned in a PM earlier that he understood how Taboose Pass area was one of my favorite area's. He likes doing peaks but a lot of times miscalculates the correct
route and uses his experience to get through difficulties. My recommendation would be to concentrate on the Split area he may have gotten of course. Also with the snow, high winds and sub zero windchill temps on Mon and Tue he may be hunkered down and not be able to be seen by SAR teams.
Edit: Would also recommend checking the lakes east of Marjorie north of Pinchot.

The Other Tom
Founding Member

Post by The Other Tom »

freestone wrote:I ran into Larry last Friday at approximately 10:30 AM on the Taboose trail, about two miles from the trailhead. We spoke briefly and he mentioned that he was going to explore the area around Pinchot area, but made no mention of Split Mountain. He was carrying a Golite pack, using i-Pod ear buds. He said he only had four days, but looked well equiped. When I got to the trailhead, there were only 2 cars, his, a Suburu stationwagon, and mine.
I assume you have given SEKI this info.....
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Yes. I called them immediately and was interviwed by the Ranger in charge of the rescue operation.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

freestone wrote:I ran into Larry last Friday at approximately 10:30 AM on the Taboose trail, about two miles from the trailhead. We spoke briefly and he mentioned that he was going to explore the area around Pinchot area, but made no mention of Split Mountain. He was carrying a Golite pack, using i-Pod ear buds. He said he only had four days, but looked well equiped. When I got to the trailhead, there were only 2 cars, his, a Suburu stationwagon, and mine.
Wasn't he aware there was a possible serious storm coming? Did he have a minimum of Gortex boots and gaters?

I had posted a warning here on Wednesday 10/17. It was originally vaguely forecast to move in late Monday but by Friday NWS moved that up to Sunday night? Could be two feet of soft snow up there now with trails fully buried.