Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by fishmonger »

quentinc wrote:My name is Claus. I am a friend of Larry's and using his computer to post this message. Larry left on a backpack last Friday, the 19th. He was due back Monday but has not returned. He went in on the Taboose Pass trail. His tentative itinerary was to head up, generally, along the Muir trail toward Mather Pass and possibly climb Split Mt. Then he planned to head back toward Pinchot Pass and explore some of the creeks in that area. I have backpacked with Larry before but it was many years ago and never in this area. I have been trying to help the NPS and Inyo County Sheriff's department. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to areas in this vicinity that might appeal to Larry. I know he often strays from his itinerary and likes to explore new areas. Any help would much appreciated. Thanks.
There are a number of places you can reach quite quickly from Taboose Pass. Cardinal Mountain is one place a peak bagger may consider right off the pass to the north. Travel in Upper Basin is fast, and he could be anywhere up there or beyond - the lake below Split Mountain is a place I'd consider as base camp for a summit push the next day.

In the other direction is Bench Lake, always popular, with maybe a summit attempt on Arrow Peak, or the JMT across Pinchot Pass, where the choice to return to Taboose or to head down to 10,000 feet to the Sawmill Pass junction to then exit over Sawmill may have lead him to Sawmill as the possibly faster exit. Sawmill Pass trail is not as easy to follow, but even if you lose it, the general direction is pretty obvious for the most part. Once you get across, it is much longer than Taboose to get down to the desert, but it shouldn't take more than a few extra hours, not days.

In two days you can cover quite some distance up there once you get on the JMT, even considering that you need to return hike within your set time frame. He could be anywhere between Palisade Lakes (considering he would have to return to the car) and Sawmill Pass.

In a hunker-down scenario, if I were to hike up to climb Split Mountain and then foul weather arrived, I probably would abort whatever I was doing and try to get as low as possible using the Muir Trail to reach the south end of Upper Basin where some trees will offer protection and the temps will be warmer. Given enough food, I would then wait as long as possible for the snow to either melt or solidify before heading over Taboose to get back out. Now it is Thursday, though - the weather has cleared, so I'd expect he'd be heading back out. If he doesn't show up today at the trailhead, I'd say this is not what happened.

If injury is responsible for him being overdue, it is much more difficult to assume where he is and he'll be very difficult to find without Spot or other aid pointing at his location. I'd guess the first place to look would be around Split Mountain.
freestone
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by freestone »

Larry looked well prepared and seasoned, but there was no indication that he was prepared for snow. No gaiters and was wearing trail runners.I sincerely believed he was aware of the storm, knew the weather was going to be beautful for the short term and planned on exiting Tuesday. We did not discuss the weather as I had been in 5 days and was only aware of the storm via a long range forcast from Sunday the 15th. All the peaks were dusted with snow and showed no signs of melting. We talked about the lakes below Split Mountain and acknowledged their beauty, but he made no mention of visiting that area. He seemed focused on getting to the Muir, then head south to explore the area around Pinchot pass. The area was deserted, he was the only person I saw my entire trip.
Short cuts make long delays. JRR Tolkien
RoguePhotonic
Topix Fanatic

Post by RoguePhotonic »

It's a bad time to get lost with such a large search radius including tons of cross country travel.

It's so easy to slip when stepping on rocks covered in fresh snow. Your print mashes down the snow making it slick.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Post by KathyW »

I hope Larry is okay.

He would have made it to the Taboose Pass area on Friday. Then on Saturday he would have been on the JMT heading south or north. If he was coming out on Monday, by Saturday night he would have been close to his halfway point.

I'm wondering if he decided to make the trip shorter and try Cardinal or Striped Mountain up by Taboose Pass? Otherwise if he went south, as others have suggested around Mount Pinchot, Mount Wynne, or even Perkins - lots of loose crap in that area. If he went north, maybe up by Split or Prater like his possible itinerary.

Has he done Arrow Peak before? Maybe he decided to head to Bench Lake and take a look at Arrow Peak - that one has such a nice view.

Larry has a good bit of experience and he is careful (at least he was the time I hiked with him); so I hope the weather has just delayed him.
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

I guess it is also possible that he would go over the crest north of Perkins and drop down into Armstrong Canyon - this is probably not that likely though because he'd have to haul his full pack up that loose crap up and over the crest.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Larry would have checked the weather forecast and have been prepared for the impending storm. In regards to his trail hikers we use the same kind and they will do well in snow.
Freestone wrote:
He seemed focused on getting to the Muir

Muir what? He had mention planning a route next year with a friend and hoping to find a route to Amphitheater Lake from Birch Lake. Could he have gone over Mather to scope out the area north of Bolton Brown?
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Electra
Topix Acquainted

Post by Electra »

Just wanted to send out Positive thoughts and vibes to Larry. Hoping he just hunkered down and is safe and will be home soon.....
Dan Braun
Camp Navarro, Evergreen Lodge & SYMG
Flux
Topix Expert

Post by Flux »

Would he have tried to bail out and go low for the West Side and avoid the snowed covered passes?? Either by way of the Woods Creek drainage or down the South Fork of the Kings River?? Maybe?? Just a thought. I know if I got caught I would try to get low.

Good vibes his way and a safe return........
Last edited by Flux on Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paul
Topix Expert

Post by paul »

posted the flyer link over on BPL just in case.
SEKI Public Affairs
Topix Acquainted

Post by SEKI Public Affairs »

Thanks, everyone, for calling with any info and forwarding this flyer to anyone who may have seen him. We really appreciate it!