Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
Mike M.
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Overdue Hiker - Do You Have Any Info?

Post by Mike M. »

I'm a friend of Larry's and scanned through his facebook albums. I found this picture from his album "SouthernSierraSnowStorm". May 15, 2011. His comment was "The view from outside my tent this morning". I know its been over a year ago and that he could have used a different tent this time or replaced that one since then. Has the tent with the yellow rainfly on the SEKI post been verified? I have also backpacked with Larry a few times in the past. As DP Hiker mentioned, Larry stuck with us on the main trail between base camps and then typically set off on his own to explore the surrounding area. Sometimes he would show up a little late from his day hike exploration, but I never worried about him because he is such an experienced hiker. I remember him sharing one blog story of a hairy situation he got into on one of his solo hikes, but he got through it. Larry is a survivor. I'm still rooting for him.
If I read this right, that's actually a photo from Larry's tent, not of his tent. Is that right?

Mike
Bluewater
Topix Expert

Post by Bluewater »

I just emailed pxts from last summer of Upper Basin from the top of Mather Pass, Upper Basin from the plateau near the Bench Lake jct. and the lakes on either side of Pinchot Pass from the top of the pass. I hope this helps.
jessegooddog
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by jessegooddog »

Hello Claus,

I have only known the gut wrenching feeling of a pet gone missing so I cannot possibly feel your fears right now. I hope that you and your little son find some comfort knowing how many of us who are strangers, knowing Larry only through his postings, are thinking of little else other than his safe return. Please know that you and Larry are in our thoughts and prayers all day long.

Sue
glykon
Topix Newbie

Post by glykon »

This is Claus. I registered as a new user to avoid posting under Larry's Id. I apologize for not responding sooner to the post about maps. I have not known Larry to mark up maps or leave any notes about trip plans. I could not find any documents on his PC about this trip or any written notes or any comments, inserts or dog ears in any of his hiking books. SAR went over this with me early on.

I am new to this and tried submitting this post earlier but it did not seem to arrive, so this may be a duplicate.
TehipiteTom
Founding Member

Post by TehipiteTom »

Mike M. wrote:If I read this right, that's actually a photo from Larry's tent, not of his tent. Is that right?

Mike
The wording is slightly ambiguous, but I think the key phrase is "from outside my tent".
ERIC
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator
Your Humble Host & Forums Administrator

Post by ERIC »

TehipiteTom wrote:The wording is slightly ambiguous, but I think the key phrase is "from outside my tent".
In any case, believe what's pictured is a Kelty Gunnison?
New members, please consider giving us an intro!
Follow us on Twitter @HighSierraTopix. Use hashtags #SIERRAPHILE #GotSierra? #GotMountains?
Follow us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HighSierraTopix
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

I'm more worried about the impending storm and the forecast at this point:

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.ph ... 8080444336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another dusting of snow won't help the search.
bkpkr
Topix Novice

Post by bkpkr »

This is a very disturbing story, and even more upsetting by the fact Larry is considered as a very experienced hiker/backpacker but still has been over due for seven days. No signs of his presence (after bumping into another hiker on his first day) have been found by SAR so far, most likely due to being wiped up by the previous storm (especially snow). It would suggest he is immobilized or in out-of-search area (which seems less likely). A tent is not that difficult to spot but was not yet seen from air or grand. The area is vast and time is running fast which put even more stress on his rescuers, family and friends. By now his food and fuel (which translate to water) sources are out or almost out; unless, he is somewhere by the water source (lake or creek). In any case the new storm is coming in soon which may dramatically lower his survival chances.

SAR is doing incredible work; anyone here is trying to help any way they can; some were even planning to go to the mountain area and perform the search--all good intentions.

This reminds me of a similar story in the past. A hiker was missing for nearly two weeks and SAR had called off and on the search due to rapidly changing and dangerous conditions. Over 40 people were involved in the search (including by air and with dogs), but on the end he was found by his friend who learned about the incident after 10 days and drove to the mountain to perform a search on his own even though the local sheriff tried to discourage him.

The point is all these clues and suggestions are in good faith and may, but not necessarily, help SAR with the right strategy. A person who knows Larry, who thinks like Larry, who has hiked with Larry might be more successful with retracing Larry’s (invisible) footsteps and become aware of possible traps than a team of well organized rescuers.

Hope Larry will be found soon.
frediver
Topix Regular

Post by frediver »

"Professionals" sometimes overlook what might seem obvious to the untrained.
At this point in time does it really matter who finds Larry?
The only concern now should be not to misplace anyone who is
searching.
Pescadorios
Topix Newbie

Post by Pescadorios »

No update - just sending well wishes to the search and rescue teams and prayers for Larry, his family and Larry's safe return!