More Tahoe area SAR action

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

More Tahoe area SAR action

Post by TahoeJeff »

https://www.tahoedailytribune.com/news/ ... ter-storm/

Very limited details. I would have liked to learn more about what happened.
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
SSSdave
Topix Addict
Experience: N/A

Re: More Tahoe area SAR action

Post by SSSdave »

Thanks jeff. Another case where those in trouble apparently did not look at or understand weather forecasts. More of this occurs than makes the news as most that get into trouble make it out on their own, miserable and wiser though too embarrassed to make such public. Even during summer in thunderstorm weather, I sometimes see others climbing up towards ridges and peaks when I as someone with a strong physics and lightning knowledge background am afraid going the opposite direction. Ignorance is bliss. One thing living a long life has taught me is there are significant numbers of carefree people that bumble along in life oblivious to situations intelligent others would recognize as requiring caution and attention.

An example is say at some urban event like a street fair where city street parking became scarce. It just takes a single bozo parking their vehicle along the side of a street with several NO PARKING signs to cause a few like others to start parking right there with them. And all end up with tickets taped on their windshield. It would be hilarious to see the dumb look on their faces at the moment a cop asked them WHY they decided to park there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

El Dorado Sheriff's Dept:
On Sunday, EDSO received a call for several backpackers who were overdue from their trip into the Desolation Wilderness in the El Dorado National Forest. The backpacker's family members provided Deputies with a travel plan and a map of the travel route.

With the severe winter weather the conditions were treacherous and there was an extreme hazard facing the group EDSO Deputies and Search and Rescue Volunteers responded. The operation continued throughout the night and group was located in the early morning hours. Search and Rescue Volunteers located the group and extracted them from danger.

This group was prepared for the elements but failed to heed the Severe Weather Warnings and ventured into a dangerous area.

El Dorado County Deputies and Specially Equipped Teams of SAR Volunteers went into freezing temperatures and white out conditions to rescue the trio. The parties were slightly hypothermia but in good spirits. After warming up and being evaluated by El Dorado County Paramedics they were given a ride off the mountain to a local hotel.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
TahoeJeff
Topix Fanatic
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by TahoeJeff »

maverick wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:36 pm El Dorado Sheriff's Dept:
On Sunday, EDSO received a call for several backpackers who were overdue from their trip into the Desolation Wilderness in the El Dorado National Forest.…..After warming up and being evaluated by El Dorado County Paramedics they were given a ride off the mountain to a local hotel.

Yeah but, where?
When did they go in?
Were they lost?
Etc. etc.?
"A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both."

Milton Friedman
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Hi Jeff,

Some departments automatically give out in-depth descriptions of an incident, others are pretty tight lipped about anything but the basic need to to know info. You can call the PIO of the El Dorado Sheriff's Dept., they may give you more info.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org