SEKI Fatality 6/18

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

SEKI Fatality 6/18

Post by maverick »

SEKI NP:
SEQUOIA NATIONAL PARK, Calif. June 18, 2017 – Yesterday evening rangers received a report of a twenty-six year old female that fell into Silliman Creek along the Twin Lakes Trail in Sequoia National Park and was subsequently swept downstream.

With record setting high temperatures forecast for the parks, remaining snow in high elevation areas is rapidly melting. Rangers want to remind visitors that rivers and water crossings are swift, cold, and dangerous.

“River crossings fluctuate with temperature and time of day,” said U.S. Park Ranger Leah Tobin. “Just because you we able to cross in the morning, does not mean the same crossing will be at the same level when you come back to it in the afternoon.”

Use extra caution when traveling in the wilderness as trails may have different conditions from last year. Be sure to have proper stream crossing techniques and always unbuckle your pack when crossing waterways. Wilderness users may experience intermittent trail delays in this area as rangers work to secure the area.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
franklin411
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Re: SEKI Fatality 6/18

Post by franklin411 »

No further details on how it happened, but here's an obituary for the victim. Sad story, and kinda shocking to me because I was at that crossing (and posted a video of it, although I didn't try to actually cross) two weeks before the accident. I guess I assumed that the flow would have receded, but then I suppose there's still tons of snow still to melt.

http://dailybruin.com/2017/07/09/gradua ... r-theater/