My SAR below Lake Catherine and Rehab

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: My SAR below Lake Catherine and Rehab

Post by Hobbes »

limpingcrab wrote:Reaffirming my decision to get an inReach (I should say my wife's decision to make me buy one)
Both you and your wife are going to love the 2-way capabilities of the DeLorme. Over the past few years, I've found the best feature is the ability to receive & reply to incoming messages. While tracking, SOS and inbound confirmation are obviously the key safety elements, spouses left behind really enjoy the contact and knowledge that you're safe.

It also allows them to feel included and comfortable knowing they can get in touch with you should anything happen on their end. Canned messages can be sent off at regular times during the day like: I'm heading over the pass; I'm taking a break; I'm stopping here for the night, etc. These combined with tracking allow them to see exactly where you've been and where you currently are.

I know there's plenty of back-country vets that abhor this entire idea, but it's the ultimate appeasement device for anyone going out solo with kids, responsibilities, etc back home. It's also a pleasure on my end knowing my wife is ok and holding down the fort; she loves to send daily recaps of her day. The keyboard is pretty tiny, but I've become somewhat adept at pecking away decent replies.
Yury
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by Yury »

Rockyroad wrote:... I was told I had multiple fractures in my wrist and leg and my patellar tendon was completely lacerated.
Rockyroad, and what about your head and back?
I understand that you have fallen on you back and also hit you head.
Have you had a back pain and a head ache afterward?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Hobbes wrote:
I know there's plenty of back-country vets that abhor this entire idea, but it's the ultimate appeasement device for anyone going out solo with kids, responsibilities, etc back home. It's also a pleasure on my end knowing my wife is ok and holding down the fort; she loves to send daily recaps of her day. The keyboard is pretty tiny, but I've become somewhat adept at pecking away decent replies.
Abhor the device, not at all.

But the panic and fear and mayhem of getting a text from it that someone is lost, and then waiting six f'ing hours in panic mode only to find that the text telling me everything was well -- the second text being sent ten minutes after the first, but taking six hours to get to me for reasons unknown -- NOPE. NEVER AGAIN.

It's an appeasement if it works. It's a torture device when it doesn't work consistently. It only works until it doesn't.
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

Yury wrote:
Rockyroad wrote:... I was told I had multiple fractures in my wrist and leg and my patellar tendon was completely lacerated.
Rockyroad, and what about your head and back?
I understand that you have fallen on you back and also hit you head.
Have you had a back pain and a head ache afterward?
Yury, I had a cut on my forehead that required a few stitches. I probably had a concussion as well. But other than that, my head and back was fine. I must have landed on my backpack which provided some cushioning. As you can see, my pot was severely dented as well. I had my DSLR attached to the front of my shoulder strap with a Peak Design Capture Pro Clip and the camera was not damaged at all, further evidence that I landed on my legs/back. I had no back pain nor headaches afterwards but my wife tells me I kept asking the same questions even though she had already answered them.

Interestingly, my leg fractures were not at the skinnier middle part of the tibia that I would expect to break during a fall. It was the large part of the tibia that was fractured, near my lacerated patellar tendon, just below the knee. I think my leg hit a sharp rock that both fractured my leg and cut my tendon. But I don’t remember any of it.
FeetFirst
Topix Regular

Post by FeetFirst »

Thank you for sharing and I'm happy to hear you're recovering. Good for you to make the best of it and appreciate the down time.
I'm still rather convinced that you can achieve more than you've ever dreamed of if you just lower your standards.
Lumbergh21
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Lumbergh21 »

Well told rescue story and one more reason for me to get a Spot\InReach like my wife wants me to. One thing though. I've been told by several people that you want to carry it somewhere easily reachable, e. g. clipped to the front of your pack, as you might not be able to access your pack if you are injured.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

I've come up out of the drainage from Hemlock Crossing to Catherine in early Oct., with my late dog over 12 years ago, had no problem, but going up is easier to see than some routes down. Lucky you, I go solo, not always making the best decisions, but I'm still here. Thank you for sharing, retired now, guess I will have to be careful. No compass or PLB. A wet finger and extra mileage get me out of trouble.
Duane
Piece of cake.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Rocky, I'm really glad to hear that you are recovering well. I still feel bad for not being there to help. As you may have seen from our later trip report, my husband and I went down via North Ritter Lake, instead. You are so LUCKY!! Hope to see you at this summer's meet up.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Question: How many feet do you think you fell? I am considering wearing a helmet for more difficult X-C this summer, given that I am older and more vulnerable.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Shhsgirl wrote:Question: How many feet do you think you fell? I am considering wearing a helmet for more difficult X-C this summer, given that I am older and more vulnerable.
Heck, you could slip/trip/tumble over a rock, or have a piece of talus move from out from under you, and fall just a few feet and hit your head. There was a post just awhile ago from someone recounting that exact experience. There's also the possibility of someone dislodging a rock from above.

BD helmets only weigh between 7-11oz so it's a good option if you plan on doing any hard class 2 or class 3 x-country.