Missing hikers in emigrant

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Missing hikers in emigrant

Post by MountainMinstrel »

A couple and their dog have been missing since Tuesday in the Crabtree area.

http://www.mymotherlode.com/news/local/ ... crest.html
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Missing hikers in emigrant

Post by maverick »

Posted on the other major CA outdoor forums. Hope they are found safe and sound.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Talked to Sheriff's Dept, they says that Donna, Mark, and Lulu (dog) went out Sunday and were planning to come back Tuesday.

Their intended route was to go in at Crabtree>Gem Lake>Deer Lake>Long Lake>Crabtree

If you were out between 6/12-6/14 and saw a couple with a dog anywhere along this stretch of trail, please contact the Sheriff’s Office immediately at 209-533-5815.

Thank you for any information you can provide!
Attachments
Mark-Smallwood-and-Lulu-6-16-16-125x93.jpg
Mark-Smallwood-and-Lulu-6-16-16-125x93.jpg (4.64 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
Hallberg-6-16-16-91x120.jpg
Hallberg-6-16-16-91x120.jpg (3.43 KiB) Viewed 3162 times
Emigrant SAR.jpg

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
MountainMinstrel
Topix Expert

Post by MountainMinstrel »

They have been found.

http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/new ... y/40106284

They apparently found someone with a working phone and called in.
Just an old musician who loves the Mountains.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Another good outcome. :)

ryanerb
Topix Acquainted

Post by ryanerb »

Awesome they were found!

Would love to hear feedback about how this keeps happening and so many people don't have any satellite comm devices such as a spot or PLB. This would greatly speed things up for everyone and free up time, money and resources.
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

snippets from news link:

Campers first ran into Hallberg and Smallwood on a trail near Cleo's Bath, which is in the Pinecrest area...

The sheriff's office said Friday Hallberg and Smallwood ended up hiking 60 miles. Their hike plans were diverted Tuesday because of the terrain and a large amount of snow. The pair used their map to try to find different routes.

-------------------

The only way anyone going to Gem Lake from Crabtree TH could end up at Cleo's Bath that is 1.5 miles up the river from Pinecrest Lake, is if they were incompetent map readers. I wonder how they managed to get into the Stanislaus River Canyon? Dodge Ridge and forest service dirt roads are all over that area that they apparently never ran into? To otherwise end up there meant going north from the Gem Lake trails and over the ridge from the trail going east out of Burst Rock. Totally non-sense for anyone looking at a map to get back to Crabtree unless again they were very mixed up?
SSSdave
Topix Addict

Post by SSSdave »

ryanerb wrote:Awesome they were found!

Would love to hear feedback about how this keeps happening and so many people don't have any satellite comm devices such as a spot or PLB. This would greatly speed things up for everyone and free up time, money and resources.
It keeps happening because many in-experienced backcountry users have inadequate map skills while expecting they will be able to get by with simply following trails and trails signs. Of course not all trails are on maps, especially use trails, and many are missing or never had signs at junctions, so what do you think happens when they come to such a junction? One way leads to their destination while the other to maybe we are Lost!

Spot or PLB useful to novices or those with worrying relatives back home but unnecessary for many of we experienced enthusiasts.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

SSSdave wrote:
Totally non-sense for anyone looking at a map to get back to Crabtree unless again they were very mixed up?
Sgt. Benson adds that the two are experienced hikers and have taken the trail at least three times in the past.

This earlier quote above in the My Mother Lode from Sgt Benson does bring up some questions, it would be great if the couple would shed some light on their ordeal so this became a learning experience.

ryanerb
Topix Acquainted

Post by ryanerb »

SSSdave wrote:
ryanerb wrote:Awesome they were found!

Spot or PLB useful to novices or those with worrying relatives back home but unnecessary for many of we experienced enthusiasts.
I would agree that the spot is not useful if you know how to read a map....

However, don't fool yourself, the spot can be helpful for other things like an injury. Imagine solo hiking and breaking your leg. Or hiking with a partner and breaking your leg. It's still going to be easier and faster to get a helicopter 30 miles into the backcountry via a SPOT rescue compared to 'your friend carrying you out' 30 miles to the trailhead to the ambulance.