Missing Hiker and Dog near Donner Pass

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Missing Hiker and Dog near Donner Pass

Post by Jimr »

News report may not be very accurate. Several other possibilities as well, but I won't speculate.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
fishwrong
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by fishwrong »

I don't have any more details than the news reports. I did speak with my friend for a minute and agree words can't describe the emotions.

Thank you to all involved in the search. I saw National Guard, SAR from four different Counties and I'm sure there were many more involved. I know how professional and dedicated these folks are, but it still impresses me when I see it in action.

Thank you to this Board also. Mavericks leadership in these areas is nothing short of inspirational. I honestly believe the trip plans and accounts of prior rescues saves lives. Giving folks who get in trouble the confidence and tools to improve their situation really can tip the scales. It also gives folks an opportunity to do something that might help, rather than feel helpless, and that's more valuable than folks might think.

One thing I would like to add. Internet boards provide amazing amounts of information and comradory, but they also provide anonymity. That sometimes leads to speculation and comments that are uninformed. This board handles that issue better than any I know, but it is a fact of life.

My comment is for people who get into trouble, please follow your own instincts and training to make the best decision for your situation. I've been overdue getting home and not wanting to worry my family, cause an unnecessary search, and be "that irresponsible guy" all affected my thoughts and decisions. I think those feelings are valid, and should be considerations prior to trips and in making decisions up to the point that they cause you to do something that doesn't feel right.

At that point, getting home safely is the responsible thing to do. If that mean finding a safe place and waiting for help, that's exactly what I think people should do.

Thank you again to everyone involved in the rescue. A family is waking up whole this morning, and that's due to your dedication.
Brien
Topix Acquainted

Post by Brien »

I have to wonder if he had a compass. I've read he got disoriented and went the wrong direction. When I read that I thought to myself who goes out into the wilderness without a compass. Isn't that the most essential of tools. Lock Levin is south of Hwy. 80, if you had a compass all he had to do was travel north and you're going to hit the train tracks and Hwy. 80 a mile later.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by AlmostThere »

Brien wrote:I have to wonder if he had a compass. I've read he got disoriented and went the wrong direction. When I read that I thought to myself who goes out into the wilderness without a compass. Isn't that the most essential of tools. Lock Levin is south of Hwy. 80, if you had a compass all he had to do was travel north and you're going to hit the train tracks and Hwy. 80 a mile later.
The most essential tool is navigation skill. It's entirely possible to have just a good map and use a watch or a stick to determine north, if you have the right skills. And staying "found" is worth far more than the ability to triangulate, ie get un-lost, since prevention is always preferable. Not enough people will go through that trouble of looking at a map often enough - if they even have one.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

You do not need a compass to tell which way is north. There are times when simply stopping and waiting for rescue is the better decision, particularly if one realizes that their navigation skills are poor. (Agreed, going out solo when your navigation skills are poor may not be the best idea in the first place) Loch Leven may be a mile fro the highway, but by the time he realized he was lost, he may have had no idea how far he was. More practice in reading a map and more often reading of the map, often is more practical than simply having a compass. I rarely take a compass with me. I am glad the outcome was favorable.