spreading the news

Use this forum to stay informed on missing persons alerts, active SAR's and unfortunate hiker accidents we can all hopefully learn from. Any information you may have on a missing person, including first hand weather related information or any other insight (however little) may prove to be critical information to Law Enforcement / SAR in locating the person in question.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

spreading the news

Post by AlmostThere »

I talked about reconn.org during the evac plan portion of the WFR course I have been in for the past nine days. The instructor made a point of leaving the url up on the white board.

I may make business cards to place in geocaches and leave at trailheads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Re: spreading the news

Post by maverick »

I talked about reconn.org during the evac plan portion of the WFR course I have been in for the past nine days. The instructor made a point of leaving the url up on the white board.

I may make business cards to place in geocaches and leave at trailheads.
Thank you for that AT! Grand Canyon NP uses it for their backcountry rangers when they go on patrols and have had some interest from some SAR organizations. In Yosemite, SEKI, and NF, it seems to get bog down by bureaucratic red tape, which is a darn shame, it should be made available to all (free), on the Rec.gov, NPS, NFS, and at all wilderness offices.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

i'm just bringing it up because I think it's easy to forget it's there. Most of the people I've mentioned it to have never heard of such a thing as leaving an itinerary let alone the website

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sent a letter off to the US Dept of the Interior, Secretary Jewel's office, and the Forest Service Office of Regulation and Management Services Chief Tidwell office, let's see what they have to say about implementing the reconn form.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
brandy
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by brandy »

Thank you for providing this. I used the reconn form from this site on my first solo trip a couple of summers ago, leaving copies with friends/family and one in my car at Road's End. Keep spreading the good word! :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Thank you Brandy for using it! Appreciate the feedback. :nod:

zacjust32
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by zacjust32 »

AlmostThere wrote: I may make business cards to place in geocaches and leave at trailheads.
Mav, Is there any way to maybe get a business card or tag made up for this purpose? A pdf could be added to the ReConn page so it's accessible to everyone.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

A pdf could be added to the ReConn page so it's accessible to everyone.
There is a downloadable pdf, click on the pdf tab at the top of the ReConn page, and it is available to everyone Zac.