2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: 2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

Post by Flamingo »

Hi Everyone,
Count me in for the meet-up. I think it would be nice to meet -- in real life -- other like-minded backpackers.

To clarify: it sounds like we should aim to rendezvous at Wallace Lake on the night of Thursday July 24th. Am I right?

I would like to use this meet-up as an opportunity to finally visit Tulainyo Lake. I am tentatively planning to day-hike from Wallace to Tulainyo (and back to Wallace) on Friday July 25th. I'm open to joining with other HST members for this side excursion.

To rehash an older post from @TehipiteTom - Wallace Lakes is awesome, but I am also open to other locations for this meet-up (e.g. Mono Recesses). Discuss.
Rockchucker
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockchucker »

I wish the meet up was at the recesses, it would be much better for me!
I'm no suture for my future.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Vhsvhs wrote:

To rehash an older post from @TehipiteTom - Wallace Lakes is awesome, but I am also
open to other locations for this meet-up (e.g. Mono Recesses). Discuss.
Hi Vhsvhs,

Great, looking forward to meeting you!
This is our first HST Meetup, the next in 2015, will be open for discussion at a later
time. Yes, meeting fellow backpackers and sharing some time with them, especially
with those who share our passion for the Sierra is always special moment.
The 24th is when everyone should have arrived to WB, some may get there earlier
and do some exploring, climbing, and fishing. I'll be coming in on Sat, spend 4-5
days in the Upper Kern and the Big Horn Plateau before arriving to WB on the 23th
or 24th.
Rockchucker wrote:
Maybe the next Meetup. Each location, no matter where it would be held, will not suit
everyone's scheduling nor timing, unfortunately. No matter what the location, it will
take some backpacking to get to because it is what we are about, it is the essence
of what HST is about.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

nah.. North end of Saddlebag.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rlown wrote:
nah.. North end of Saddlebag
Nope, it will have to be at least 1 full day of backpacking from the trailhead Russ, but
will leave this discussion for this coming Winter. :D

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockchucker
Topix Expert

Post by Rockchucker »

Rockchucker wrote:
Maybe the next Meetup. Each location, no matter where it would be held, will not suit
everyone's scheduling nor timing, unfortunately. No matter what the location, it will
take some backpacking to get to because it is what we are about, it is the essence HST.
So true, I may still make it as one of my other planned trips seems to be getting the axe.
I'm no suture for my future.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Rockchucker wrote:
So true, I may still make it as one of my other planned trips seems to be getting
the axe.
Sorry to hear that, but glad to hear it too. :D

Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

maverick wrote: (I'll be) arriving @ WB on the 23th or 24th.
I'm planning on getting to Wallace sometime in the late afternoon on Wed the 23rd in time for the evening bite. If I'm the first one there, are there any suggestions for setting up camp?

From these two images, it looks like the outlet to the tarns on the small peninsula is the most logical place. Upper image outlet is upper left; inlet from Tulainyo is lower left:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hobbes wrote:
If I'm the first one there, are there any suggestions for setting up camp?
Near the outlet of Wales.

umjames
Topix Newbie

Post by umjames »

Howdy y'all

I haven't been a member very long, though I've read posts from this board for at least a couple years now. I had seen this thread floating around recently and finally decided to read it. As it turns out, a long thru-hike (not PCT long, but long for most) that I'm planning for summer will be winding down in the Whitney Region, right around the dates of the meetup. I had planned on finishing my hike on July 24th, exiting through Whitney Portal. Now I'm pondering extending my trip a few days. The only thing I really need to figure out is my food plans. I know most folks will be getting down with some fresh local fish, which I support, but will not be partaking. I'm not really worried, since I'll probably end up mailing myself extra goodies in my last resupply in Independence. Plus, I can grub hard in the frontcountry after. I am looking forward to meeting other individuals who love the Sierra as much as me. I figure, folks that travel cross country to meet up are most likely folks worth meeting up with.