2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: 2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

Post by KathyW »

Crossing the gully was not a major problem last summer - you have to go up to cross it; so it adds a little bit of elevation gain to the trip.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

There were a few members who went thru that area after the storm and reported here
that is fine to do it.
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=9680&hilit=shepherd+pass#p72672" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

New members or old, everyone from HST is welcome to join us.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Mav, I think you reserved some spots on your rezzy. How many do you have left?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Enough for you Russ, changed your mind, or are you still only coming if someone offers
you a helicopter ride in? :p

rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

not yet. Just wanted people to know if you had some and entry/exit strategies for your permit.

on your strange update, do we have Heli support?

You bumped the thread. just asking about your permit status.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Less then a month away. :nod:

calipidder
Topix Regular

Post by calipidder »

Hey all -

Due to the way that my work + personal travel is fitting in the summer schedule, I won't be able to make this trip. :(

But the good news for you is that I just canceled my permit for a shepherd pass entry on this Saturday, July 19. I had booked 2 spots, so if you're interested you should be able to snag them. The trailhead quota was full before.

I'll be playing on SPS peaks from Aug 11- 24 so maybe I'll run into some of you out there somewhere!
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Being a week away, it would be cool to get a quick list of who's in. Sort of a post if your in, don't if your not type list.

I'm in
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Me too (two?).

I'm hiking directly up Shepherd on Wed, 7/23. I grabbed a solo reservation for that date, but I still have to pick-up the permit when the IAVC opens @ 8am, which will push back my launch time to around 9am.

If anyone has an open slot for Shepherd next week, it would be nice to get added. That way, I could leave OC around 1am and be on the trail by 5-6am.

PS For those unfamiliar with the differences between NFS and NPS procedures, the FS will leave your permit in a locked night-drop (they give you the combo) if you're **not** entering SEKI or Yosemite. However, if you are going over the crest into SEKI or Yosemite, the NPS requires that you pick up the permit in person. Hence the forced late(r) start.

Alternatively, you can pick up the permit the day before before the visitor center closes @ 5pm. But then - from my perspective - that wastes an entire day traveling during the morning/afternoon. For night owls, you can get started the same night - which works well for trails like Shepherd - but decades of surfing have hard wired my internal clock to a preferred big activity push from around 6am-noon.