2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: 2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

Post by KathyW »

:)
Last edited by KathyW on Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
orbitor
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by orbitor »

In terms of destination, I'm fine with either Wright Lakes, Wallace Lakes or the Upper Kern Basin. My objectives are peakbagging-related. Thus, I would be interested in climbing the following, depending where it is agreed to camp:
Wright Lakes - Tyndall from the south (had to give it up on the Williamson trip last month due to the storm), Barnard
Wallace Lakes - Russell, Hale, Young
Upper Kern - Midway and Milestone Mountains

I'm also an advocate of using one of the established trails to get over the Sierra Crest (if coming from the east).
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

Might be interested. :) I'll put it on the calendar for now.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Snowy wrote:

Might be interested. :) I'll put it on the calendar for now.
That would be great Snowy!!
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

Six pages of posts and not a single mention of Tulainyo Lake?

Wallace is a very long way from anywhere...I swore that if I could ever make it back there (last visit 1992), Tulainyo is an absolute must-see.

And, I have to mention the Whitney-Russell Pass and the Whitney Mountaineering Route as a fun way to exit that area! (I just came down it barely over one week ago.) W-R Pass itself is easy (except for the high altitude, 13k). At Iceberg Lake, when you meet up with the Mountaineering Route, better to follow someone down who knows the way. It's a pretty beaten trail at this point and easy to follow in most places; but still. And you MUST be comfortable with the idea of doing a couple of very exposed Class 3 moves with your full pack, at the Ebersbacher Ledges. When you get your permit, if through Inyo, your permit type must be "Cross country visiting Whitney Zone" (as distinct from a Whitney "entry" or "exit"), with a specified exit of North Fork Lone Pine Creek. You need a Wag Bag; but don't need to start using it till you actually enter the Whitney Zone. Anyway, the beauty of this descent rivals that of any eastside entries/exits I have ever done.

I will consider joining the group, for sure.

- Elizabeth
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Elizabeth,

This area was specifically picked for the beautiful lakes, which definitely includes
Tulainyo, great fishing, sublime scenery, and outstanding peak bagging.
As you mention there are numerous entry and exit opportunities which one can put
together making an extended trip.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Snow Nymph
Founding Member

Post by Snow Nymph »

orbiter, I would be interested in Milestone, Midway, Hale and Young. :nod:
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

anyone actually fished the area? intel? pretty is nice, otherwise, elsewhere.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

I fished the upper Wrights Lake area this summer. See my trip report. Fish, yes, but kind of a stark area for camping. Wallace Lake is prettier and I have seen fish, but not fished Wallace Lake myself.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey Russ,

Search feature:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2295&p=17210&hilit= ... sin#p14522" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4480&start=0&hilit= ... akes+basin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9961&start=0&hilit= ... akes+basin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;