2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
KathyW
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: 2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

Post by KathyW »

Well, I won't be hauling a full pack up George Creek and over the crest. I've been up George Creek to the crest (Trojan Peak) and that was far enough for me.

I'll be going over the crest where there is a trail. It doesn't matter which trail though. I'll do easy cross-country with a full pack, but not the rough stuff. I'd rather do the rougher stuff as side trips from basecamp with a light pack.

I'd still like to meet up with the group for a night or two; so I'll watch as the plans unfold.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by maverick »

Kathy W wrote:

Well, I won't be hauling a full pack up George Creek and over the crest. I've been up
George Creek to the crest (Trojan Peak) and that was far enough for me.

That's kool Kathy, we are just playing around with interesting approaches ideas.
We'll meet up in Wallace between an agreed upon time period, but what everyone
does before or after spending a couple of days together, is up to where your
adventurous spirit takes you. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

I might consider descending george creek on the last day :)

I am looking at cross country trans sierra routes and George Creek would actually make a pretty sweet exit!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

What are your entrance possibilities Sparky? Exiting George would also be a good
idea, but personally I need a sunset/sunrise at Heller Lake.

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
artrock23
Topix Acquainted

Post by artrock23 »

Tentatively, count me in. This sounds like fun, and a great way to meet some fellow HST members.

There are a number of peaks in that area i'd like to climb, and this far in advance, i'll have plenty of time to research the area and routes. :thumbsup:

I'm curious about approach options. George Creek looks like the most direct... is it as bad as i've heard?
sparky
Topix Fanatic

Post by sparky »

Mav, either Tablelands or Mineral King. Yeah I agree about being there for sunrise/sunset at Heller, that looks absolutely spectacular! That would be a highlight for sure!
KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

artrock23 wrote:Tentatively, count me in. This sounds like fun, and a great way to meet some fellow HST members.

There are a number of peaks in that area i'd like to climb, and this far in advance, i'll have plenty of time to research the area and routes. :thumbsup:

I'm curious about approach options. George Creek looks like the most direct... is it as bad as i've heard?
Yes, it can be bad - at least the first 3,000' gain or so. Going over the Crest at Shepherd Pass is much easier than trying to go over the Crest via George Creek. That said, I think everyone should experience George Creek at least once - it is beautiful up there.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

2014 Member Meet-up 7/22-7/27

Post by Hobbes »

Exiting out of Wallace down George creek via Vacation pass sounds interesting. I came across this old TR by Bob Burd (http://www.snwburd.com/bob/trip_reports ... ler_1.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) where he mentions running into Kathy.

As for access, according to the FS, the road to the George creek TH south of Shepherd is washed out. Who knows if it will be repaired by next year? I assume you can still get to the TH from Manzanar, but I don't have a 4WD. The problem then would be how to get back to your car if it wasn't parked @ the TH. I guess you could walk to the 395 and hope for a ride:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint ... orge+Creek" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So, the remaining issue would be entry. Shepherd could be the ticket - falls in line with Kathy's vow to come in via a trail.

Edit: Thinking about this, you could park your car @ Shepherd corral station right off the main gravel road - which even my car can do - then walk back north from the George TH to complete the loop. Hmmm.
orbitor
Topix Regular

Post by orbitor »

Hi Mav, definitely interested. No idea about the schedule yet, but I'd definitely like to participate if available. Thanks for taking the initiative!
Climbing | Community | Adventure | Life
http://www.sierramountaineeringclub.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Sounds great artrock23 and Orbitor! Starting date will need to be flexible until
we see what mother nature has in store for us this winter, but it will be give or
take a week or two from the listed dates. :thumbsup: