hiking partner wanted

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
markskor
Founding Member - RIP
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

hiking partner wanted

Post by markskor »

Hiking Partner wanted-

This summer, my only remaining, stay-at-home 16-year-old son is visiting /working with relatives back east…saving up $s to buy a car. My wife works, travels 3 weeks out of each month, and I am not teaching algebra in High School summer school… (Thank God!)
As such, I have my wife’s permission to go to the Sierra for a month or two so. She states though that I cannot go traipsing around alone anymore…why, who knows, but that is what she demands.

I, however, do not really care what she says…(prefer to go alone), and I am going anyway, but, to make her feel better, I am posting this “looking for a hiking companion” notice…just to placate her. She does not read this forum, but would feel better if I had someone else along…

The first trip will be a 7 – 9 day trip starting in Tuolumne up the Lyell…maybe see the glacier…over Donahue to Marie Lakes…and a few days at 1000 Island…Banner, ?, and back…Ireland to Tuolumne…all fishing related…no death marches….~ 8-9 miles a day suits me fine.

So, if you are free minded, have your own gear, like to fish, do not mind just hanging out in Tuolumne a day (plan to snag a next-day permit) and then the high country fishing for a day or two each place…drop me a line. I am a 55-year-old wanderer and do this backpacking thing a lot…kind of experienced. I am planning to start out June 20th or so, have to be back in Sacramento on the 1st to pay bills and mow the lawn. After that, I plan one or two more similar 30 – 50 mile trips in July. Have jeep, and am open to Eastern Sierra serendipity.
Mark
Mountainman who swims with trout
Hikin Mike
Founding Member
Experience: N/A

Re: hiking partner wanted

Post by Hikin Mike »

I've heard there's a natural spring near North Dome.... :D

I'd love to tag along with you Mark...maybe next year...something close? :nod:
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Mike,
You Dog...
I hear that North Dome springs is just a myth.
LOL, I get to summer in my Sierra...Jealous?
Mark
giantbrookie
Founding Member & Forums Moderator
Founding Member & Forums Moderator

Post by giantbrookie »

markskor wrote: LOL, I get to summer in my Sierra...Jealous?
Mark
Aren't we all.
Since my fishing (etc.) website is still down, you can be distracted by geology stuff at: http://www.fresnostate.edu/csm/ees/facu ... ayshi.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
walkswithdogs
Topix Newbie

Post by walkswithdogs »

Hello:
Regarding the need for a hiking partner: Get a SPOT Messenger and you can send her as many "I'm OK" messages as you want - every day. I have one and walk in the woods alone all the time (OK - actually, the dogs are with me).
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

Wife is a corporate computer trainer...travels the wolrld.
Right now she is in Australia.
Looked into purchasing the "Spot"...looked promising...
(well, the $300 - $400 price tag was a bit of a shock, but whatever)...
The problem is that she is all too frequently out of Internet range for days & I think that she just wants to make sure I am not having too much fun...lol.
(insert something here about an old dog...& tricks)
So, to all not as lucky...18 more class days and counting.
Jerdog
Topix Newbie

Post by Jerdog »

Mark,
I am new to this Board and saw your post.
Sounds like we are in similar situations as I've been given a hall pass by my wife for a week or so but can't seem to find anyone to trek with as schedules don't seem to match up. I had hoped to be able to pack alone but have sworn to find a partner or be forced to go on a Sierra Club or REI trip but frankly, don't see the point in incurring the additional cost just to go trekking (most trips run $500-$600).
I'm pretty easy going (don't they all say that), will give you plenty of space and alone time and flexible on where to backpack. I'm 47, a self-employed graphic designer/illustrator with two daughters living in the SF Bay Area so my time is a bit more flexible than most. (daughter and wife are off to Spain and Italy and my other daughter is in soccer camps and a JCIT at a sports camp.) I'm in very good shape, have no trouble with altitude and have hiked and camped a fair amount, just not much official backpacking so could probably benefit from some of your trail knowledge. I'm not much of a fisherman, just enjoy being in the mountains.
Unfortunately your June date is too early for me so I might have to catch you on a second or third phase of your travels. My best timeframes are first two weeks of July and second half of August. LMK if any of this sounds interesting and the timing might work. My FBI background check is almost ready for your review and my trial on stalking charges have now been dropped so I should be free to leave the county. This is probably way too much info so that may not bode well for you enjoying a peaceful tranquil trip in the high country.
I'll try and check this post later this or early next week. Not sure how these things are done.
Jer
markskor
Founding Member - RIP

Post by markskor »

See your PM...or PM me.
Lets talk off forum.
hikerduane
Founding Member

Post by hikerduane »

Starting July 25, I am heading over Bishop Pass to do the route maverick did last summer in reverse, although I need to ask him which way would be better, his way or in reverse. I have a permit for one out of South Lake, out on Aug. 1.
Piece of cake.