Topix Carcamp Sept 29-30

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
hikerduane
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by hikerduane »

I won't be coming unless someone else is coming from the north and heading south on 395 with huts not going. I can spring for most or all the gas. Meet up in Minden or Carson City would be great, even where the Sonora Pass road hits 395.
Piece of cake.
Trail Bud
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Trail Bud »

Snow Nymph wrote:Since I won't get there to Lone Pine til about midnight, I'll just go to my secret spot to sleep and we'll meet at Onion Valley trailhead Saturday morning. After Snow Crown, we'll drive to Lone Pine and can either go to camp to eat, or maybe Pizza Factory. I'll stop for a take-out dinner if eating at camp. I will probably stop for a shower too.

It'll be good to see you and Trailbud again! Tell TB to bring some of his John Muir stickers. Moose Tracks wants to buy one.

I'll bring the stickers and the Jameson.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

to whet your whistle for Saturday's group hike:
one of the lakes on the way up the trail

view from the saddle above Bench Lake
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Tom did you finish that hike????? or was it just a preview?
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

Hi Ridge -
Sunday 09-09-2007; after the later finish on Baldwin yesterday I thought I might be toast for today's hike. Joe drove up from Ridgecrest and after a slow start from me(I slept near the trailhead) we were off by about 7:15am. made the summit in about 4 hours and total trip time was about 6.5 hours. awesome views of surrounding lakes.

I think the whole group that wants to should be able to summit. although it was a little loose gaining the saddle above Bench Lake - it took us an hour to reach. Joe was moving fast because he was on fresh legs but even in my worn out stage I did ok. I expect that the whole group could do this in under 9 hours total and that is conservative.

7am should be a good start time from OV trailhead. it gets light enough to see around 6am. temps have been slightly cooler in the mornings before the sun comes up - so allow time for slower moving bodies - especially those driving over from Lone Pine Campground. I expect that is a 45 minute drive without stops. (McDonalds in LP has a clean restroom - so may allow extra time for a stop there along the way)

to those who would rather fish than hike; Matlock and Bench Lakes have been cleared of fish(for frog breeding) - so Gilbert and Flower would be good places to drop a line. may bring a couple radios in case some want to turn back.

photos(didn't take very many - saving it for group trip):
http://tomcat-rc.smugmug.com/gallery/3457615#194290629
MooseTracks
Topix Regular

Post by MooseTracks »

Aww, T! What a teaser! I am so stoked for that hike now! :D

And I can guarantee, if the sun's shining that day, there will be swimming in one of the gorgeous lakes. :eek: Yeehaw!!

-L :cool:
"Why do I climb? Quite simply because the mountains and I had to meet." - Colette Richard

http://www.flickr.com/photos/moosepics621
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Cool, looks like a fun one.
quentinc
Topix Expert

Post by quentinc »

Bring lots of warm clothes. I can't believe how cold it was in the Mammoth area these past few nights and mornings!
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

Matlock and Bench have been cleared of fish?

I have not kept up on this fish removal issue, but it seems crazy!
Who picks where and what lakes will be cleared?
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

ridgeline wrote:Matlock and Bench have been cleared of fish?

I have not kept up on this fish removal issue, but it seems crazy!
Who picks where and what lakes will be cleared?
I have not stayed current with this issue - but I know it was discussed in length over on "the fishing hole" section of this forumn:
viewtopic.php?t=1429&postdays=0&postord ... gs&start=0

I think this is the second season for the nets in Matlock and I did not see any fish swimming nor anglers attempting Slim or Matlock

sad that I do not spend time dropping a line anymore - 10 years ago I would have died if not getting into back country lakes to fish. when I slow down from hiking and bagging peaks I will once again take to the lakes - I still have my favorites too