Topix Carcamp Sept 29-30

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

The Buttermilks sound like a really good idea for camping - no worries about reserving a campsite and no fees.

In the section on camping in this guide it says that you can have a fire with a permit in the Buttermilks, but that might not be the case this year:

http://www.sierramountaincenter.com/oth ... ion_mg.pdf

Here's info on Tuttle Creek:

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en/fo/bishop/c ... uttle.html
quentinc
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by quentinc »

The Buttermilk area is nice, but last time we camped there we had to step around the broken beer bottles (it's obviously a hangout for the local disaffected kids!)
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

broken bottles - yuck

well, whatever the powers that be decide is fine with me
huts

Post by huts »

No fires in the Buttermilks this year.
I hate the broken bottles too but perhaps instead of just "stepping around" them you could pick them up.I keep a pair of gloves and trash bags in my truck at all times.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

we had planned some hikes out of Independence area. Buttermilk is over an hours drive from hiking area. I would like to camp closer to Independence. since OV camp is full - maybe we can dry camp in the Mazurka Canyon area or Manzanar Reward Rd. it is much closer drive for hiking, don't have to worry about the local hooligans, and I think we can find an area where fires would be permissable, should be good area to set up tent for those who need.

Lewis has good experience in this area and can probably chime in
I am planning to do a little reconoiterring after next Saturday's hike.

have we started a head/vehicle count yet.
also anyone not good with map and/or GPS skill exact driving directions could be provided if need - please advise prior to weekend.
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

If the group is camping near Onion Valley, I think I might go for Dragon. Hikes starting at Onion Valley/Independence and points north sound nice to me. Of my 8 trips to the Sierra this past spring/summer, 4 of them have been to the Lone Pine/Whitney area; so I'm kind of burnt out on that area - especially with how dry looking it is this year.
tomcat_rc
Topix Regular

Post by tomcat_rc »

ditto the burnout on the Portals area - this is the first weekend in the last 4 that I did not hike out of the area - and the WPMB is doing a group hike out there again in 2 weeks - don't want to drive up that road any more for awhile.

if we make Dragon the day 2 hike(Sunday) - should be less people
still looking at Snow Crown for day 1 - as is not so strenuous and can probably more of a group can summit here.

as always adjustments can be made - still have 4 weeks(appr) to lock in
mountain hiking is addictive:
I can quit anytime I want - I just choose not to want
ridgeline
Founding Member

Post by ridgeline »

As much as I would like to do Snow Crown has anyone done Kindergarten Gully up to Peak 13,121 from the Buttermilks? Its 1.1miles south of Mt Humphreys. I am looking in "Eastern Sierra Ice" This is a real mellow ice chute to the summit of 13121 next to Checkered Demon. We can descent by way of peak 12634 back to the cars (two peaks) and camp, about 5m round trip.
The rd in from Bishop, W line st. 7.3m to the Buttermilks Rd turn right. Set odometer to zero here, at 3.6m pass peabody boulders go straight to cross a cattleguard, at 5.9m you will pass horton lakes turnoff go straight, at 7.5m cross the stream (inches of water), 8.3m to 8.65m ignore all left turns go straight ahead. Without high profile and or 4wd this may be the end, or travel to 9.8m passing aspens to a fork, go left .4m to roads end. TrailBud will have his 4wd, SN, others?
In a nutshell, 10m from Bishop, hike from camp 5m round trip, the Buttermilks, no permit needed. Not sure about fires

UTM 352837E 4124672N (peak) 355570E 4126479N (camp)
KathyW

Post by KathyW »

I have 4WD.

Where is Snow Crown? I've never heard of it? Do you start in Onion Valley? How tall is it?
Last edited by KathyW on Mon Sep 03, 2007 10:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Snow Nymph
Founding Member
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Snow Nymph »

I will check out a few areas on Friday.

I counted 13 that replied so far, and a possible 3 more that are coming but have not replied yet.

I think we have five 4x4s, that I know of, and will post a list later.
Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free . . . . Jim Morrison

http://snownymph.smugmug.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;