2021 Post-Covid HST Meetup 7/29-7/30 (Cancelled)

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

2021 Post-Covid HST Meetup 7/29-7/30 (Cancelled)

Post by maverick »

This Meetup is dependent on what the covid circumstances are in our part of the world, and all participants must be fully vaccinated for everyone's safety.

The Meetup location will be at Ladder Lake in SEKI. Fishing, climbing, and gorgeous scenery awaits all those who are willing to come. Dates for the Meetup are deliberately not including the weekend, so everyone has better chance at scoring permits.

Let's see how much interest there is in having a Meetup. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Re: 2021 Post-Covid HST Meetup 7/29-7/30

Post by Flamingo »

Hi Mav, that's an awesome location, and I'm going to try my best to join. Past HST meetups have been a major highlight of my summers. :thumbsup: :)

One possible hiccup... On Recreation.gov, it appears all permits for that week are already reserved for Bishop Pass, Lamarck, Sabrina, Big Pine, and Piute. However, I am optimistic about walk-in permits!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Past HST meetups have been a major highlight of my summers.
However, I am optimistic about walk-in permits!
:thumbsup: :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Given I don't buy into getting vaccinated, I will not be attending.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

As much as I would like I probably will not be able to attend. Due to this year's permit issues I will likely be going back to the Wind Rivers from mid-July to Labor Day. Just a suggestion for next year - how about a meet-up after Labor Day, mid to late September, when permits are easier to get? Have we ever tried a later date?

I have been to Ladder Lake and it is a great location. I came up from Le Conte Canyon and went out north to intersect the PCT south of Helen Lake. It makes a great loop from South Lake/Bishop Pass.
wsp_scott
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by wsp_scott »

I'd be interested, but I'm going over Shepherd Pass on 7/28. I don't think I could could cover enough miles to get that far north in a day :)

have fun everyone
My trip reports: backpackandbeer.blogspot.com
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

Dang, I already have a permit for Pioneer Basin with my wife for the 25th to the 28th, so logistically that wouldn't work. Hopefully next year.
-------------
Dave | flickr
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

So Mav, are you checking covid passports?
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I may do an eye scan Jim. ;)
Already got fake vaccination card being sold. :\
https://www.news10.com/news/coronavirus ... hot-water/

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Given I don't buy into getting vaccinated, I will not be attending.
Ain't like you would have come either way Russ, unless we put Puppet or Hanging Basket next to Ladder Lake, then maybe, but still highly doubtful. :)