San Joaquin Exploration - early September 2019

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
tiesing
Topix Novice
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

San Joaquin Exploration - early September 2019

Post by tiesing »

I would like to do a 3-4 day exploration of a seldom used trail from Miller Crossing of San Joaquin to Rube Meadow in the Ansel Adams Wilderness. Dates are flexible, tentatively Sep 9-12. I'm considering going off trail on the return to explore a way from Rube Meadow down to junction of North and Middle forks of San Joaquin. (Area map attached)
I have the experience and skills to do this trip alone, but since it is quite remote I'd like a partner for the extra safety factor. If you are keen to see some pristine wilderness and don't mind some rugged terrain, this trip is for you. I'm willing to take on all the guiding duties if you want to just tag along for the ride.
--john
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tiesing on Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tiesing
Topix Novice

Re: San Joaquin Exploration - early September

Post by tiesing »

As no one responded to this topic, I ended up doing this trip solo and I had an amazing time. One highlight is crossing the San Joaquin river in a hand cart suspended from a cable.
MillerCrossing.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tie Sing was the USGS cook for Sierra expeditions in the late 1800's. Read more about Tie.
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Awesome pic... sounds like fun.
gary c.
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by gary c. »

Water and canyon look beautiful. How about some more pics and a full report?
"On this proud and beautiful mountain we have lived hours of fraternal, warm and exalting nobility. Here for a few days we have ceased to be slaves and have really been men. It is hard to return to servitude."
-- Lionel Terray
tiesing
Topix Novice

Post by tiesing »

Thanks for your interest, Gary. Sadly this entire area was torched in the Creek Fire. The trail is currently closed. Even when "officially" opened, what faint remnants of a trail that existed when I hiked it may be completely obliterated. I doubt it will be a very attractive place to visit for a few years.
Tie Sing was the USGS cook for Sierra expeditions in the late 1800's. Read more about Tie.