4th Matthew Greene Search 9/4-9/8/19

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
narkj
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Re: 4th Matthew Greene Search 9/4-9/8/19

Post by narkj »

Hey all. How is everyone doing? i'Ve been busy writing and was thinking of everyone and listening to my audio. Fondly recalling my Pennyroyal tea. Any future plans to search again?
rlown
Topix Docent
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by rlown »

Time to close this case..
commonloon
Topix Regular

Post by commonloon »

Should there be another search effort then I would be interested in participating again.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I can finally post again; I was blacklisted for the last three days and could not post.
Should there be another search effort then I would be interested in participating again.
Yes, there will be another search in 2022.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
sekihiker
Founding Member

Post by sekihiker »

Count me in.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Count me in.
You were already counted in Bill, so was Paul and the gang. :) ;)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hey all. How is everyone doing? i'Ve been busy writing and was thinking of everyone and listening to my audio. Fondly recalling my Pennyroyal tea. Any future plans to search again?
Hi Jason,

Good to hear from you! I hope you and your family have been safe and well!
We will have another search in 2022, which I hope you will be able to attend again. Any idea when the article about Matthew will be finished?

narkj
Topix Acquainted
Experience: Level 2 Backpacker

Post by narkj »

Hey Mav, I'm still working on it, for better or worse. It's been a real personal journey for me to come with you all. How is everyone from that search party doing?
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Hello Mav,

I'm keen to participate again. Will we concentrate on the Minaret area again this year? Looking at the area at the top of the South Col glacier I searched last time with Bearzy, I wonder if searching inside the moats we saw would be a good idea? I would prefer to have a partner (other than Bearzy) to belay me from above, but could probably figure out a way to do it alone with a lot of prussiking.
I would take a strong spot-light and headlamps of course. This hot and dry year might have exposed some new area deep down there?

Let me know when, Ian.

100_2550.JPG
This sort of moat, aka randkluft, sort of area I am thinking of.

100_2585.JPG
Henry, Paul/commonloon and climbing friends searching in 2019

100_2656.JPG
There are a lot of potential moats to search. I would concentrate on areas directly below likely climbing routes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi Harlen,

Most likely the Ritter-Banner area, with the main emphasis on Southeast Glacier and Clyde variation, and the North Face route.