Page 5 of 9

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Posted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:32 pm
by Harlen
Mort writes:
All approaches look to be steep or cliffy.
-mort
I'd say you have the perfect name to descend this slope back down to Cloud Canyon (and your set on the other side too). I had a lot of difficulty, but I was off-route too. See oldhiker's great route description.


100_0270.jpg
Steep!!

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:28 pm
by Jimr
Lisa and I are officially bailing. Partly the snow, but mostly work obligations that requires me to shorten the trip to be back at work on that Thursday. We're going somewhere, but not sure where at this time.

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:42 pm
by oleander
I actually might make the Meetup after Jim heads home. Depends on conditions, obviously. I'd probably plan to camp at Lake 11,200 on Tuesday evening and drop down to Deadman via Big Bird on Wednesday.

Watching not just the snow cover/melt, but also for any thunderstorm activity, which would make going through Tablelands a dicey proposition. [And if I can't go through Tablelands, I won't go at all...Elizabeth Pass is not going to melt, and I don't much care for the trail approaches via Sugarloaf or Avalanche.]

- Oleander

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:47 am
by freestone
Looks like there might be a strong monsoonal flow during the meet-up time frame that's been showing up on the model for the last couple of runs at least. Something to watch out for.

Image

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:10 pm
by Rockyroad
The NOAA forecast discussion also mentions a monsoonal flow that could result in thunderstorms about a week from today. Will be watching how this develops.
...At some point in the 5 to 7 day period, the models forecast the onset of the monsoon over Arizona. We`ll need to keep a close eye on this tropical moisture by then because it could creep far enough westward in the 7-10 day period to bring a threat of isolated thunderstorms to our mountains and desert. For at least the next 7 days though, dry weather will prevail over the central California interior...
https://forecast.weather.gov/product.ph ... glossary=1

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Posted: Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:06 pm
by Ashery
Jimr wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:28 pm
Lisa and I are officially bailing. Partly the snow, but mostly work obligations that requires me to shorten the trip to be back at work on that Thursday. We're going somewhere, but not sure where at this time.
And my plans to mooch off some fishing lessons gets thwarted once again, :lol:

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:11 pm
by maverick
Sorry, but I shall not be making the Meetup either.

We are working out of temp kitchen trailers since late May, while they remodel our kitchen and dining hall, making work a little complicated, and less room for errors. Construction was supposed to be completed in Oct, then Nov, and now maybe in Dec. :\

My summer camp numbers have increased for the next two weeks, and are just to high for me to get away, then add on that one of my employees is having foot/toe issues again, due their diabetes, and my temp helper for the summer had to leave for the next 2 weeks, so this officially smothered any flickering hope I had to get away for the Meetup.

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:27 pm
by rlown
Go Mav!.. I'll come down and fill in.. :nod:

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:55 pm
by maverick
Go Mav!.. I'll come down and fill in.. :nod:
:lol:
I do want a job to come back to Russ.

Re: Maverick's 2019 Annual 7/25-7/26 HST Meet-up

Posted: Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:08 pm
by Flamingo
Could someone give more clues about climbing from Deadman Canyon up to Meetup location? I'm wondering if the best route is to climb along the outlet stream (as @oldranger suggested earlier in this thread?). In Google Earth, it looks like there may be (easy?) grassy slopes about 1/3 mile south of the outlet stream, leading towards the lowest lake. I'm wondering if that route could work too? --Thanks.