Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Re: Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

Post by Hobbes »

Alright, I think I've come to the conclusion that Mosquito Flats may possibly be the worst TH to try and shuttle to/from another trailhead. I guess one can become a bit spoiled from the TH's south of the Sherwin grade, because they're lined up, one after another along the 395. This makes for quick and easy access that allows a ready combination of mix & match shuttles/hitches. (That being said, McGee is a nice complement, but either Pine creek to the south, or Mammoth to the north becomes more difficult.)

So, rather than attempt to pound a square peg into a round hole by wasting 1/2 day shuttling before or after the hike, I figured why not just go with the flow and do a quick & easy in/out loop? And sure enough, there's a great TR that describes just that through Mono, Pioneer, Hopkins & Grinnell. Voila:

http://www.highsierratopix.com/communit ... f=1&t=9439

Right now, I'm planning on driving up Tues am, hit the trial by 3pm and reach the 4th recess lake between 7-8. The next day (Wed) I'd head over to Pioneer basin for an all day fishing & exploration session.

I think my only change to the linked itinerary may be using the trail from Pioneer basin down & around to Hopkins rather than go over Crocker col. The reason is I like to get over passes or hit (limited) peaks early in the morning. If I did that, then I'd be at Hopkins by early afternoon. However, if I hung out in Pioneer all day and fished the different lakes, I could stay until 4 before heading out. It looks to be around 6.5 miles from the upper Pioneer lake, so figure 3 hrs no rush hiking. I think I'd much rather roll into Hopkins between 7-8 following a trail.

The next day (meet-up Thursday), it's less than 2.5 miles over Hopkins Grinnell pass to the lake, so I think I'd get there early, set up and explore. Maybe go over Bighorn to Rosy Finch or just hang around and fish. The last day (Fri) would be a 14.5 mile march down Laurel creek to catch the Mono trail and then back up to MF. It looks to have 3.3+ gain and 3.8- loss, but my car would be there and I could make it home early Sat morning.

If anyone is going to be around in the vicinity on those days, let me know and I'll keep a look out.
Gazelle
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Post by Gazelle »

I think I will be ahead of you a day unless some of my peaks take longer than expected. I plan to be at the meetup area Tuesday afternoon with a peakbagging day hike adventure Wednesday. Then depending if people are around or not another peak adventure from meetup spot on Thursday. Leave Friday, maybe go out with you (Hobbes) or if I am behind a day then out to get red slate and some others and go out Mcgee have a friend down the road who can give me a ride to my car at Mosquito flat or I may just have him dump me up there on the way in. So I have Me, Hobbes, Maverick, Flamingo, Olenader, Jim, Goast, rocky road, richlong, almost there.

Question mark blue water, Harlem, fishmonger, majzha, love the sierra?
Am I Close? Maybe the biggest one yet? I will believe it when I see it!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi,
Looks like I won't be joining you after all . I'm concerned that the 2nd class rock and talus, with a full pack, over either Hopkins Pass or McGee Pass may be beyond my skill level.
Have a good time!
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

I still plan to come. Will park at McGee TH and get a shuttle to Little Lakes Valley (Mosquito Flat TH) Sunday (22nd) morning and hike to Pioneer Basin. I intend to take my time exploring and eventually head up Laurel Creek to Grinnell Lake. I'm hoping to exit with others over Ginnell Pass (Pace Col) as I'm a bit nervous about that lower cliff section on the northern side.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Looks like I won't be joining you after all . I'm concerned that the 2nd class rock and talus, with a full pack, over either Hopkins Pass or McGee Pass may be beyond my skill level.
Have a good time!
AT is coming via Edison Lake, no x-country passes involved. :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Here is a drone video for those people coming in the Thomas Edison>Mono>Laurel Creek >Grinnell route can look forward to. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwzxKljnAZ8

Those coming in via Rock Creek, including views from the summit of Red and White Mountain: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY2efGt6YJo

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Maverick do you think lower or upper Hopkins lake is better...purely a view thing for me?
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Lower Hopkins. :)

KathyW
Founding Member

Post by KathyW »

I tried to read through but the posts but I got lost. Are you all meeting at Lower Hopkins Lake on July 26th?
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Wow, there's a blast from the past. I think the location is here:

https://mappingsupport.com/p/gmap4.php? ... &z=16&t=t4

I'm planning on going over Grinnell-Hopkins from lower Hopkins lake here:

Not sure if I'm going to traverse through Pioneer basin to go over Crocker Col here:

Or simply lollygag down the trail.

According to my calcs, either route has around 2k+- gain/loss. While Crocker is 5.3 miles to L Hopkins vs 7.4 via trail, it's x-c, so I figure the travel time might be the same.

However, the issue I have is I don't want to hang out @ L Hopkins during the afternoon (tree hatred). I'd want to go over Crocker in the am, so it would screw up the rest of the day. If I hang and fish in Pioneer all day, then I can leave around 4, get to L Hopkins by 7, eat & crash.

Thursday morning I'd head to the meet-up location, drop my stuff @ Grinnell, and head over Bighorn to check out some more fishing @ Rosy Finch, etc.
Last edited by Hobbes on Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:57 am, edited 2 times in total.