Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

Post by Harlen »

Not sure yet, for variety of reasons (read "teenagers") it is very hard for us to plan much in advance.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Adult-like substances
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Harlen
Topix Addict

Post by Harlen »

Adult-like substance abuse!
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Put the dates on your calendar folks, all HST members are welcome, no matter whether your a long time member or just joined! :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Rockyroad
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Rockyroad »

I missed the last 2 but it's on my calendar for this year. I'm currently thinking of either an out and back route from Mosquito Flat that will allow me to explore Pioneer and Hopkins Creek basins and Laurel Creek or some loop from Lake Edison. There are so many options.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

I missed the last 2 but it's on my calendar for this year. I'm currently thinking of either an out and back route from Mosquito Flat that will allow me to explore Pioneer and Hopkins Creek basins and Laurel Creek or some loop from Lake Edison. There are so many options.
That's great Rocky, and yes there are a lot of options. :)

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SirBC
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by SirBC »

After my aborted 2017 attempt I'm going to definitely try and make this one. I am planning on being in Mammoth for the 2018 Beers & Bluesapalooza festival the first week of August so I can probably string together two trips with some beers in the middle :)
-------------
Dave | flickr
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

After my aborted 2017 attempt I'm going to definitely try and make this one. I am planning on being in Mammoth for the 2018 Beers & Bluesapalooza festival the first week of August so I can probably string together two trips with some beers in the middle.
Great! :thumbsup:

mahjzha
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by mahjzha »

So, being a fairly new member with limited off-trail experience, I am interested in coming. However, having said that, am slightly worried about actually finding the location! I am good with map reading and directions, but will likely be traveling solo. Would the most straight-forward way to get there be following the trail up to Laurel Lake, up to the bench with the small lake above it, and then making my way over to Grinnell? Thanks for any advice (and encouragement)!
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hi and thanks so much for arranging a dog friendly location.
I definitely would like to come with my Sunshine, (Samoyed girl) and will mark it on the calendar. I am in the same boat with Mahjzha...I am not great going cross country. As a matter of fact I learned about the meet up because of my post wanting to improve my skills as a navigator. I am happy to give it a try and guidance on the most straight forward route with reasonably decent footing would be greatly appreciated!