Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
richlong8
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

Post by richlong8 »

Hobbes, I was looking at that same youtube video last night, pretty awesome. Maverick, I already pulled a permit for Mono Pass. I will probably go up into Pioneer Basin, after Mono Pass entry, and eventually come out to Steelhead, then over McGee to Tully, down to Grinnell, over to Hopkins drainage, down to Mono Creek, 4th Recess, then back out. There are a lot of choices here, all good ones. The dog is doing pretty good off trail, until there is exposure, then he is tentative, but I will just take an easier route if there is any doubt, rather than risk the dog. (or myself for that matter!)
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Rich, at this point, I'm 99% pretty sure I'll have the same itinerary as you. Go in @ Mono, buzz around Pioneer/Hopkins, and then most likely hike back out via the trail. This option provides the most flexibility without being locked into any specific set of (shuttle/coordination) requirements. If someone is heading out McGee Friday, and doesn't mind back-tracking to LLV, then I might go that way. Otherwise, speed run back down the trail to the Mosquito flats TH.

I'm starting out Tues - what's your start date? I'm planning on heading up to Pioneer Wed am to check out the fishing, then meander over to Hopkins basin in the afternoon. Thurs am I'll drop over the ridge down to Grinnell and fish for awhile waiting for others to show @ the meet-up. Friday am, head out around 10ish - looks to be a 6-7 hr hike back to the car.

There are probably some others who will be in the general vicinity as well, so perhaps we'll see each other before the big party.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I am heading in on Saturday,7/21. I am in no hurry, this will be my long trip of the year, and I am leaving plenty of time to fish, take a few photos, and just enjoy being out of the urban grind. I may be the guy people see laying down taking a nap during the day, dog at my side, in the middle of nowhere.
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

It doesn't get any better than that! :thumbsup:
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

I don't why this suddenly just dawned upon me, but besides Inyo being dog friendly, unlike the parks, the FS doesn't require permits to be physically picked up in person. I can't remember the last time I stayed only in a forest region. I'm always, always in a park, and always access them via a forest from the E side, whether Inyo or Hoover.

So, we know what this means: night drop box! Yeah, no need to deal with the agency's 8-5 schedule. This actually potentially adds an extra 'free' day. For us early-birds, getting the permit the night before allows for those 5am starts we love & enjoy. That allows, in many cases, to simply walk to the D2 location directly, instead of bivying somewhere after a short D1.

Hmmm.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Which brings up an interesting question: while not really the main topic, why was the region between Yosemite & SEKI not preserved as a park?

My guess is the San Joaquin watershed aka Big Creek project:

Just goes to show that while a lot of lip service is paid to preserving certain protected regions, when commerce and the core importance of the state's water requirements come to a head, reality always wins.

In retrospect, it's a bit of miracle they didn't jam a freeway up the passage as well. Good old RR:

https://www.nps.gov/depo/learn/historyc ... ighway.htm
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

while not really the main topic, why was the region between Yosemite & SEKI not preserved as a park?
"while not really the main topic" really. :lol:
Let's keep the thread on topic, start a separate thread please Hobbes. Thanks
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
SNOOOOW
Topix Regular

Post by SNOOOOW »

[quote="Hobbes"night drop box! Yeah, no need to deal with the agency's 8-5 schedule. This actually potentially adds an extra 'free' day. For us early-birds, getting the permit the night before allows for those 5am starts we love & enjoy. That allows, in many cases, to simply walk to the D2 location directly, instead of bivying somewhere after a short D1.

Hmmm.[/quote]

Agreed! I was already thinking the same thing. I hate having to go in a pick a permit up during business hours.
Without a People's army, the people have nothing.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

maverick wrote:"while not really the main topic" really. :lol:
Let's keep the thread on topic, start a separate thread.
It's probably not worthy of a separate thread, but maybe we can create debate teams to discuss the point in July. Last year, we stayed up till 11pm shooting the sh!t, but for some reason I cannot seem to remember what the heck we talked about. :-k
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Hobbes wrote:
maverick wrote:"while not really the main topic" really. :lol:
Let's keep the thread on topic, start a separate thread.
It's probably not worthy of a separate thread, but maybe we can create debate teams to discuss the point in July. Last year, we stayed up till 11pm shooting the sh!t, but for some reason I cannot seem to remember what the heck we talked about. :-k
As for night drops and more flexible start times, now I'm thinking I could possibly jam down the SHR from Piute, and then exit Mono. Other than Pioneer, I'm not sure there's enough to see coming in from LLV. But, going over Feather & the Bears, or even just Italy & Mills, could be possible with more time to deal with shuttles & permits.