Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Flamingo
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

Post by Flamingo »

Hi All,
I'm tentatively in for the 2018 Meetup. Grinnell Lake looks great. I'll probably enter via McGee, and try again to climb Red Slate Mountain. I failed to summit during a trip in 2016, and it's been eating me alive. :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Hi All,
I'm tentatively in for the 2018 Meetup. Grinnell Lake looks great. I'll probably enter via McGee, and try again to climb Red Slate Mountain. I failed to summit during a trip in 2016, and it's been eating me alive. :)
:thumbsup:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent
Experience: N/A

Post by Wandering Daisy »

Here are a few photos of McGee Creek. Decide for yourself if it is worthwhile; I think so. It is particularly stunning in the fall but you will not be going in the fall (one of the best shows of color in the Sierra).

The trail was washed out this summer, and has been mostly rebuilt by the packers, with detours. But you still have to get down to the creek for one of the crossings. I would just follow the main horse trail even if it does not match the map.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wandering Daisy
Topix Docent

Post by Wandering Daisy »

A few Fall photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Right now I'm sort of leaning towards a loop from Pine creek. I'd head for Italy pass, catch the SHR, hit the meet-up spot, then hike out Mono pass to LLV. From there, I could go over Morgan pass back to Pine creek.

Flamingo, when you mentioned Morgan pass, did you go all the way over? It looks like you need to road walk a bit to get to Pine creek.

The other alternative would be to leave/return via Mono pass. I could explore Pioneer basin and each of the recesses along the way. However, it would be nice to head over Bighorn to Fish creek and loop back from McGee to Mono (through Pioneer?), but I'm not sure it's that easy.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Ahoy Hobbes,

You can connect Pine Creek trail and the Morgan Pass trail without any road-walking, per se, except a couple hundred feet on pavement to walk from the Morgan Pass trailhead over to the Pine Creek trailhead. It's no big deal.

When I did the Mono Loop in 2016, it was a true loop. That is, I parked my car at Pine Creek trailhead, I did Italy + Gabbot + Mono + Morgan Passes, and I walked right back to my car. The bottom two miles of the Morgan Pass trail are old jeep track switchbacks (does that count as road walking?), but the road is abandoned and it basically felt like a wide trail.

Overall, I give high recommendations for the Morgan Pass trail. It's underrated. The top half is terrific alpine walking, and the bottom half is heaven for geology nerds.

FYI -- Here's the link to my 2016 TR on the Mono Loop (Italy Pass, Gabbot Pass, Mono Pass, and Morgan Pass).
http://highsierratopix.com/community/vi ... 1&p=109364
Last edited by Flamingo on Thu Nov 02, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic

Post by Hobbes »

Thanx Victor. I remember you spoke very highly of Morgan. I think I'll just follow your loop.

PS Did you and your buddies get up to Whitney last month?
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

"Where I haven't been at all is the Silver divide"

Karl, this is helpful. The Silver Divide is a must-see. So is (IMO) McGee Pass. For someone from SoCal, the Silver Divide is an area that will provide deep appreciation for the northern half of the High Sierra. And although you'll certainly get a very nice piece of the Silver Divide just by hiking up from Mono Creek to Laurel and Grinnell Lakes, the real way to see the Silver Divide is to...Hike all the way over the Silver Divide.

Personally, I can't stand the miles of viewless, horse-poopy trail along Mono Creek from where the SHR crosses said creek, east to approximately Pioneer Basin area. Mono Pass itself is magnificent (as are Pioneer Basin, Ruby Lake and to a lesser extent the Fourth Recess), but that is all high country that you can do as a separate trip one day, a 3-day in-and-out from Rock Creek that does not involve any descent along Mono Creek west of Pioneer Basin.

Knowing what I know of you, Karl, it is easy for me to picture you enjoying loping up Pine Creek TH to Granite Park, day-hiking to Royce Lakes & back, (I have been to both; very very easy pass between them); hopping from there to Lake Italy (I have not gone that route); then going north on the SHR till you hit the McGee Pass Trail at Tully Lake; and exiting via McGee Pass.

- Oleander
oleander
Topix Expert

Post by oleander »

By the way, I'm RSVP'ing to the meet-up :)
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

By the way, I'm RSVP'ing to the meet-up
Of course you are, would not have except otherwise! :)
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org