Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

Post by AlmostThere »

If anyone is interested in taking it on with someone who is more comfortable with such routes, I am tentatively scheduling myself, making it a scouting trip for trail crew as it's partly on trails we are responsible for. Will get a ferry trip, an admin permit (meaning not subject to the quota) and hike in on Mono Creek then up either Mott Lake or Hopkins trail - probably Hopkins as the Mono Creek trail is a higher priority and that would give me more trail coverage of it. I can get free ferry tix and a permit for 2-3 people.

I'll be fairly leisurely, with a saw and axe on my back to address downed trees. Likely leaving 7/25 and going out and back stashing the tools at the end of the trail to pick them up on the way back out.

ETA: I see potential for going in Laurel and coming out Hopkins as well... or vice versa. Cover both side trails that way.
mahjzha
Topix Novice
Experience: N/A

Post by mahjzha »

It would be great to follow someone with experience in - I'm sure that I could learn a lot! Thanks for the offer AT! I am putting it on my calendar and hopefully as the date gets closer it works out for you to go.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mahjzha and Love the Sierra,

I will be going in via McGee Pass and then use Grinnell Pass/Pace Col (class 2) to access the Meetup location, both of you are invited to join me and get some hands on experience. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Maverick and AlmostThere you guys are great! Thanks so much!. I plan on leaving on the 25th to give us plenty of time. If I join you, AlmostThere, I promise not to be a freeloader, I will help with the trail maintenance. Maverick, I would love to join you and try to navigate it myself. I would just be afraid to really slow you down. Especially on the class 2 we would be pretty slow. I am glad that I have great options, you guys are so very generous!!! I cannot thank you enough!
Meanwhile, I will be taking a couple of courses with Ned Tibitts this winter to also help my off trail skills.
Love the Sierra
Topix Expert
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Love the Sierra »

Hrelan, I would love to meet Bear and your Pomeranian! (And you too of course) I hope that you
I have enjoyed seeing all of your trail reports so much, it would be fun to meet you. My Sunshine and I and probably my daughter will be there. Anyone else coming with dogs?
By the way, my 17 year old son , who refuses to hike with me or even sit on the patio any more because “he was dragged around too much as a child” got a good laugh from the post about teenagers!
My daughter, now 20, is infected like me and truly addicted to the granite and all of the beauty that goes with our Sierra. I am glad that you guys posted that. I always thought that I did something wrong to make my son hate the outdoors. Now I guess that I did something right that my daughter still loves it!
oleander
Topix Expert

PERMITS: recreation.gov system is back up

Post by oleander »

For anyone entering on the Inyo side, just wanted to pass along that the recreation.gov site is back up as of a few minutes ago. I just snagged a permit for Sunday, July 22.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Oleander, where are you starting from?
Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Rockyroad
Topix Regular

Post by Rockyroad »

I have my Rock Creek/Mono Pass permit for the 22nd. Will arrange for shuttle service so I can exit at McGee.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

My permit is for Little Lake on the 21st I want Dade/pipsqueak/Gabb then head to Ruby Lake for Abbot/mills/treasure then onto Hopkins basin, over to the meetup, some peaks and out McGee.
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Mine becomes available tomorrow, McGee Pass for the 24th. :nod:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org