Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Harlen
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2018 Annual Meet-up 7/26-7/27

Post by Harlen »

Maverick wrote:
I will not be able to attend the Meet-up, my wife had a surgical procedure scheduled for this Thursday, Kaiser called this morning to rescheduled for next Thursday...
Damn Maverick, we imagine that is a huge disappointment for you. We're really sorry, and we all hope your wife's procedure is a perfect success, and as painless as can be.
Thanks a lot for all you do in organizing these trips. You have chosen a wonderful location, and it was thoughtful of you to have made it a "dog friendly" place this time. Best of luck, the Harlens.
Properly trained, a man can be dog’s best friend.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Bummer that Mav can't attend.

I am planning to be there as rehab from the 2nd surgery continues to go well. To make it easy I'll enter via Edison. I should get to Grinnell Thurs afternoon and will have until Sunday to explore and goof around.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Damn Maverick, we imagine that is a huge disappointment for you. We're really sorry, and we all hope your wife's procedure is a perfect success, and as painless as can be.
Thanks a lot for all you do in organizing these trips. You have chosen a wonderful location, and it was thoughtful of you to have made it a "dog friendly" place this time. Best of luck, the Harlens.
Yes it is, was really looking forward to meeting folks I haven't met before, including the dogs, and also those who I have, but "Ce la vie", can't dwell on it, just look forward to next years Meet-up. :nod:
Also, thanks for the kind words for my wife Harlen.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Hey All,
Unfortunately I cannot attend this year's meetup. You may have noticed I've been relatively silent on HST this season; I became very sick in mid-June, and even landed in the hospital. I'll make a full recovery within the next few weeks, but in the meantime I'm taking heavy antibiotics and working to regain my core strength. Don't worry, I'll be OK... but, sadly, backpacking is off the menu for me until August. I was very much looking forward to seeing you all at this year's meetup. Have fun without me, and stay safe!
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Wish you a speedy and full recovery V! :nod:

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

richlong8 wrote:Just to confirm, I will definitely be there, via Mono Pass, with a visit to Upper Mills Creek Lake before arriving at the Meetup.
Rich, we'll look for you at the Mills Creek Lakes. (Jimr, Ghost and I should be descending Gabbott Pass to Mills Creek Lakes around Tuesday, and staying that night there.)
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

oleander wrote:
richlong8 wrote:Just to confirm, I will definitely be there, via Mono Pass, with a visit to Upper Mills Creek Lake before arriving at the Meetup.
Rich, we'll look for you at the Mills Creek Lakes. (Jimr, Ghost and I should be descending Gabbott Pass to Mills Creek Lakes around Tuesday, and staying that night there.)
I plan to arrive at the upper lake on Tuesday as well, see you then
fishmonger
Topix Fanatic

Post by fishmonger »

I hope you all have a great time. I could not get off work for this week, so my Sierra visit had to be delayed by a few weeks. A number of other things also conspired. However, I'll be in the meeting area in about 3 weeks, likely spending a night on Volcanic Knob around 8/17 looking down at the meeting location.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Fish,
Check your PM. ;)

Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Ok so where was everyone? Ended up with myself and friend, rich long, rocky road, Dave Ayers, cameronn, and I am sorry someone else. Hobbes? Andy? Almost there? Jimr and friends? Great trip as always, now I need to write up last years and this years.
Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein