Open invitations

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Open invitations

Post by AlmostThere »

I have a couple of things on my schedule that I can easily invite people to, and if forum members wish to come along shoot me a PM.

I have a plan to see the Perseids on August 12 -- we'll be camping along that forest service road to Big Meadows in Sequoia NF, between the parks (the one with the Jennie Lake Wilderness trailheads). Some nice open granite slopes there to lay out in a sleeping bag and watch for falling meteors. In the past we saw some really nice shows while in a campsite in Big Meadows.

In July I will be throwing together a weekend camping trip, probably the third weekend, up at Courtright Reservoir. Day hiking and fishing possibilities galore.

I have a series of longer backpacking trips but they are already full and have waiting lists. But I often do last minute weekend trips and if you are interested in anything like that let me know.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Re: Open invitations

Post by AlmostThere »

Updated to add.

I am going to be exploring the dis-used trails in and around Sierra National Forest to scout for trail crews. The purpose is to mark problem areas on maps and take pictures so crews can bring in the right tools for the job.

This will be a series of weekend trips since I'm local. Projects will include portions of the Theodore Solomons trail, the National Riding and Hiking trail between Badger camp and Dinkey Wilderness, the Florence Lake trail between the trailhead and the Piute Creek bridge (the park boundary), Piute Canyon, French Canyon, trails in the Silver Pass/Goodale Pass area, and many of the trails surrounding Mono Hot Springs and Portal Forebay.

If you have any interest in doing trail work in this region, or in simply going with me to scout trails you have not seen before, PM. We're always looking for volunteers. I am affiliated with two of the three trail crews in the neighborhood.
Big Ed
Topix Regular
Experience: Level 3 Backpacker

Post by Big Ed »

What trail crews are you affiliated with?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Kaiser Wilderness Foundation and Wilderness Corps.
Big Ed
Topix Regular

Post by Big Ed »

My son and I went on one trip with Wilderness Corps, Rock Lake Restoration Project. Is that the one that wants to know about trails between Badger Flat and Dinkey Lakes?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

We're going back to Dinkey this month, in fact.

yes, any current info on any of the trails is needed, especially the national recreation trail, Theodore Solomons, or the trails in the Edison area.
Big Ed
Topix Regular

Post by Big Ed »

My son and I walk through the Dusy Ershim 4WD trail each year to bring out info on down trees prior to the crew driving through, the Riding and Hiking trail intersects it in several spots. Time permitting I can take a look at some of it. I've done trips hiking the foot trails that criss cross the Dusy, so I know them better than most. I've offered to do this for Todd, but he's not a good communicator, and wouldn't get back to me. If there's anything in particular you're interested in, let me know.
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

At the moment we are trying to sort it all out and prioritize - past years we worked only in Dinkey, this is our first time expanding into other areas. The section of the Riding and Hiking between Badger Flat and the Dusy Ershim is definitely on the list. Thanks for offering! I know I'm not going to be able to hike it all this year, or even next year. Not enough weekends in the year.
Big Ed
Topix Regular

Post by Big Ed »

It's a system of trails, it intersects with Dusy seven times between Mallard Lake and Rodeo Meadow alone, there are others beyond that as well. Obviously I can't look at all of it, I can try to look at a couple segments that connect Dusy OHV with the trail between Badger and Helms Meadow. And doing that I'll see a section of that trail as well.