Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by maverick »

I will pull off and park the car somewhere if it gets too dicey, not worth trashing the car.
Or paying the $700-$800 dollar towing fee! :paranoid:
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Totally smoky skies from Fresno north driving all the way into Reno.
:crybaby:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

The Whitney cam, I think is better looked at through the time lapse link below the current cam. I think glare from the sun may be giving a false impression. I can see the rays in the Bishop cam. EODIS shows the bulk of the smoke activity.

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/?p ... 0274772645
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Air quality and visibility over SEKI was poor last weekend and probably continues to be primarily due to low wind (inversion layers over the southern Central Valley), particulates, dust, etc., despite dry air. Control burns past Road's End and other small burns weren't helping any. The photos I did take weren't clear at all. Sitting atop Little Baldy early Sunday, we could see the relatively dense smog layers creeping up the western slopes in the morning.

The smoggy shot below is from Moro Rock Sunday about 5 p.m.
DSC02717c.jpg
The smoke dispersal from the Detwiler fire shown in worldview shows an unusual very wide northward directed plume reflecting the slow wind patterns. Usually much narrower NE directed plumes are seen.

I'm hoping we do get rain from the projected Mon-Wed thunderstorms to clear the air and cool down the slog up from Taboose.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Today's worldview looks a lot better than yesterday. IIRC, the affected area increased by 20K acres between the 19th and 20th. I wonder if it was largely grassland that caused the huge increase and explosion of smoke?
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

Just in case: http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/safet ... sentType=3 Even Crowley has smoke.
oleander
Topix Expert
Experience: N/A

Post by oleander »

Looking forward to seeing everyone.

No smoke, heat, thunderstorm, or snow cover is going to deter me! HST meetup is HST meetup. A must-do.

- Elizabeth
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

I'm ready.
D01-BK2569.jpg
rlown
Topix Docent

Post by rlown »

k.. you're ready. :)
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Hey All,
I'm writing this post from the Taboose Pass trailhead (there's cell reception!). The so-called "washout" begins 0.8 miles from the trailhead, although IMHO it's more general erosion than a single severe washout. Water apparently ran down the middle of the road, exposing lots of rocks, thus transforming the road into a crazy cobblestone situation.

I'm driving a Subaru Forester (8" clearance), and I easily made it to where the washout starts, but I chose to not continue driving any further. Instead I'll just walk the extra 0.8 miles. My concern is not the clearance of my vehicle, per se, but rather the sharpness of the rocks. The road basically becomes all sharp rocks with no soil. A pickup truck with more rugged tires could probably make it all the way.

If you're driving a passenger sedan, you could probably make it within 1.5 miles of the trailhead.

Anyway, as soon as the sun gets lower, I'll start hiking up the trail and my plan is to camp around 8K' tonight. I'm climbing Split Mountain on Monday, Cardinal (maybe) on Wednesday, and Arrow on Thursday. I'll see y'all Thursday night!