Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by Jimr »

We now have 3 alternates. The blue denotes primary plan A, green indicates alternate paths depending on what we encounter (Plan B), black shows Plan C and Plan D is that little red dotted line (JMT).

https://caltopo.com/m/A0GD
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

Jimr, for what it's worth, I'll be at Bench Lake whether the meetup happens or not. I'm entering over Taboose on Sunday July 23rd. My plan is to basecamp in Upper Basin and bag peaks for a few days. On Thursday I'll traverse over to Bench Lake and hopefully see some friendly faces.
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Still going have many different options based on conditions I see when I get there!
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Jimr
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by Jimr »

Sounds like several of us are still in.
If you don't know where you're going, then any path will get you there.
Hobbes
Topix Fanatic
Experience: N/A

Post by Hobbes »

Well, I'm stopping by a few lakes on the way earlier in the day, so perhaps I'll have something we can cook & eat. No campfires above 10k (Bench is 10.6k), so maybe foil over a jetboil?
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Flamingo
what peaks are you planning?
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Flamingo
Topix Regular

Post by Flamingo »

@Gazelle -- I am for sure planning to climb Split Mountain and Arrow Peak. I'm also planning to climb a couple more peaks (undecided) from this list: Cardinal Mountain, Mt. Ruskin, Striped Mountain, or Mt. Pinchot. I dunno. I'm still doing my research, reading about the routes, and doing the math. Cardinal seems like an obvious choice, though, especially since I'll pass it coming in and out from Taboose.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular
Experience: N/A

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Yes, if my knee is healed enough. Long drive and hike partway up Taboose on Weds. Over to Bench Lake Thurs ~noon and climb Ickes that afternoon. Friday climb Arrow pass and Arrow peak, etc. Sat and beyond off to other areas TBD.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I am still planning on the trip. Coming in over Taboose the weekend before, hanging out at the Striped Mountain Lakes on the way to the destination. Might attempt Cartridge Pass or go to Cardinal Lake also- or bag an easy peak. Pretty flexible with my itinerary and plan to roll into Bench no later than Thursday, and get back to the car on Sunday afternoon. I expect the majority will bail, but isn't that always the case? I actually think the snow on the peaks will make pictures not seem as drab as they have been the last few years. Looking forward to it........
Gazelle
Topix Expert

Post by Gazelle »

Jimr I could possible see you before the meetup as many of my routes overlap yours. flamingo if things go really wild I could see you before the meetup. i do plan to do Arrow peak either Wednesday or Thursday. I am going to have a very detailed map for my concerned parties as my route could change significantly! I do carry a inreach se and the tracking is on, so if anyone else has one we should maybe text or whatever you do to know other inreach users?
Kristine I plan to be out for 12 days.