Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator
Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Re: Maverick's 2017 Annual HST Meet-up

Post by maverick »

A couple questions: #1: I assume Striped Mt. Basin is the basin w/3 decent sized lakes west of Striped Mtn?
Yes
#2: There is a decent sized lake SE of Taboose Pass, probably on the route described by Secor as one way to climb Striped. Has anyone visited, or have any info about this lake?
Yes, but no info on fish. Striped Mtn Lakes is the main attraction for fishing in the whole region. Remember Larry posting a photo of that lake SE of Taboose in a 2012 trip report:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Professional Sierra Landscape Photographer

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I pulled a permit for Taboose on Saturday, July 22. Filling up fast, 3 left for Saturday, Friday, 7/21, and Sunday, 7/23 full, one spot left for Monday. The snow levels will make it very interesting this year.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

The snow levels will make it very interesting this year.
Yes, it will, mosquito-wise too. :\

I don't give out specific route information, my belief is that it takes away from the whole adventure spirit of a trip, if you need every inch planned out, you'll have to get that from someone else.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
Ashery
Topix Acquainted
Experience: N/A

Post by Ashery »

AlmostThere wrote:
tomba wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:I'm eyeballing that steep chug up Arrow Creek thinking it's probably pretty gnarly.
Instead of going up Arrow Creek, I think you can get there by going up the next creek east, west from Window Peak. See the points labeled "Arrow Peak Descent 1" and "Arrow Peak Descent 2" on this map.
Oh, where's the fun in easy routes?
Easy way in to make timing easier and more reliable. Once things become more open ended, falling off one's itinerary, or even pretty much going without one entirely, doesn't really mean much.
Shhsgirl
Topix Regular

Post by Shhsgirl »

Does anyone know the best route in to avoid having to carry ice axe and crampons?
AlmostThere
Topix Addict

Post by AlmostThere »

Ashery wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:
tomba wrote:
AlmostThere wrote:I'm eyeballing that steep chug up Arrow Creek thinking it's probably pretty gnarly.
Instead of going up Arrow Creek, I think you can get there by going up the next creek east, west from Window Peak. See the points labeled "Arrow Peak Descent 1" and "Arrow Peak Descent 2" on this map.
Oh, where's the fun in easy routes?
Easy way in to make timing easier and more reliable. Once things become more open ended, falling off one's itinerary, or even pretty much going without one entirely, doesn't really mean much.
I'm really not even sure how to interpret what you said there.
Dave_Ayers
Topix Regular

Post by Dave_Ayers »

Shhsgirl wrote:Does anyone know the best route in to avoid having to carry ice axe and crampons?
I think your best bet is to start at Road's End, head up Paradise Valley, and then up the "Arrow Peak Descent 2" and "Arrow Peak Descent 1" tags at the map Tomba linked to. Most of the climb on that route above 8,000 feet has south exposure and its lower than coming over Arrow Pass.
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Does anyone know the best route in to avoid having to carry ice axe and crampons?
Check your PM. :)

richlong8
Topix Expert

Post by richlong8 »

I noticed the question on ice axe and crampons. I was going to head over Taboose, and eventually go south of Bench Lake to Arrow Pass. Any thoughts on Arrow Pass in a heavy snow year, anyone?
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Post by maverick »

Just time you climb for when the snow is not hard and icy in the early morning and you will be fine Rich, also the eastern side of the pass will be getting a descent amount of sun exposure during the day.

PS Take spikes as a back up.