Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up | High Sierra Topix  

Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

A forum to initiate member meet-up. Looking for a hiking/climbing/fishing/skiing/etc. partner, or are you planning a trip where you wouldn't mind having some company? Last minute invites can be just as fun as a well-planned group trip (sometimes even better) so don't be shy! And be sure to post a trip report to the appropriate forum when you get back.

Re: Maverick's 2016 Annual HST Meet-up

Postby sparky » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:00 am

Awesome. I will do what I can to try to make it next year :thumbsup:
There is a million ways to be human, all are worthwhile.

True happiness is the absence of striving for happiness.
-Chuang Tzu.

sparky
Topix Expert

Experience: N/A

Postby markskor » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:55 am

Having visited the proposed "meet-up" area numerous times, agree with the OldRanger that this a special place, seldom visited, yet spectacular...actually mixed feelings as selfishly desire this pristine nook Sierra continued as a well-kept secret. Oh well.

Many possible routes to the Hutchings Creek drainage...maybe a few long mile days but can be done almost all trail...at most, class 2.
Suggest:
- Mono Meadows TH - Red Peak Pass trail to Triple Peak fork - high Isberg trail and down to the Lyell fork.
- or Rafferty Creek TH - Voglesang Pass - high trail past Cony Crags and down again to the the Lyell Fork.
- or Merced River trail, all the way up from Happy Isles.
- or...Once, came over from Catherine - Twin Island - Blue Lake - Rockbound - crossed the ridge just north of Long Mountain - and picked up the trail again west of Harriets. BTW, Rodgers Pass (a scree/talus fest) or the Lyell Col north - not recommended for the faint of heart.

Whatever trail taken, better prepare for a long week...10 days here would do me better, but I'm slow.

FYI, good fishing on route but not so much once into Hutchings Creek/Lyell Fork drainage.
Mountainman who swims with trout
markskor
Founding Member & Forums Administrator
Founding Member & Forums Administrator

Experience: Level 4 Explorer

Postby maverick » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:24 pm

WD wrote:
Will not make this one- I am going to Wyoming for the summer of 2016.

Darn, will miss the opportunity to meet you again. :(

Rochyroad wrote:
Hmm. My first thoughts are to come in from Tuolumne up Rafferty Creek. Then out over Rogers Pass and either up Lyell Canyon or down to Mammoth for a shuttle. Lots of time to plan.

Hey Rocky, looking forward to seeing you there, lots of route choices available. :nod:

Sparky wrote:
Awesome. I will do what I can to try to make it next year :thumbsup:

Awesome is right, it has been a while Sparky, hopefully we will get a chance to do something even sooner. ;)
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby oleander » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:30 pm

I'm in. :cool:
oleander
Topix Regular

Postby maverick » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:13 am

Oleander wrote:
I'm in. :cool:

Never would have questioned that. :nod:
HST= Wilderness Adventurer who knows no bounds, except for their own imagination.

Have a safer backcountry experience by using the HST ReConn Form 2.0, named after Larry Conn, a HST member: http://reconn.org
maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:09 am

I can come - now that I am my own boss, the cranky old tart in charge can be generous. However, the many bills to pay might demand more of my time this coming year, so it may come down to the Wonderland trail vs. HST....

That would look to be a nice centerpiece for a six day trip in that area. I shall talk to the significant alien and see what he thinks.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby maverick » Tue Oct 27, 2015 12:57 pm

I can come - now that I am my own boss, the cranky old tart in charge can be generous. However, the many bills to pay might demand more of my time this coming year, so it may come down to the Wonderland trail vs. HST....

That would look to be a nice centerpiece for a six day trip in that area. I shall talk to the significant alien and see what he thinks.

Cool, that would be great AT! Would the significant alien becoming too?

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby AlmostThere » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:08 pm

maverick wrote:

Cool, that would be great AT! Would the significant alien becoming too?

He would - if he can get time off. His employer is less forgiving. He also tends to not like cross country so much, but routing us in via Lillian and Lady lakes might be enough incentive. He likes that area.
AlmostThere
Topix Fanatic

Postby richlong8 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 5:56 am

I'm in- sounds like a great meetup location, never been there.
richlong8
Topix Expert

Postby maverick » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:10 am

I'm in- sounds like a great meetup location, never been there.

Great to read this Rich, you will be very happy with this location, it really is beautiful!

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby maverick » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:51 am

Just a reminder, all HST members are welcome to attend, no matter how long you have been a member. :nod:

maverick
Forums Moderator
Forums Moderator

Postby Gazelle » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Had no work today due to rain so I planned my 8-9-10 day trip to the meetup...so excited! Leaving out of Reds meadow Friday night sept 23, following the SHR to hopefully doing Ritter/Banner, then cross country to Davis, Lyell, McClure, Simmons, Amelia Earhart, Parsons, Fletcher, Volelsang, Florence peaks into Hutchings creek over sluggo pass to the meetup wed night then do Electra and Rodgers on Thursday leaving Friday for Folger and ansel adams and out SHR to the John muir trail back to Reds meadow. Yep will probably not get all the peaks but one can dream!

Kristine
The woman who follows the crowd will usually go no further than the crowd. The woman who walks alone is likely to find herself in places no one has ever been before. Albert Einstein
Gazelle
Topix Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Find A Partner / Form A Group / Join A Group